How are polarization test cards created for proving polarized glasses?

In summary, polarization test cards are made using a thin polarized film, typically polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) plastic with iodine doping, which is laminated onto the card. The film is stretched during manufacture to align the PVA chains in one direction. This process is also used to make polarized sunglasses. The test cards can be tested by looking at a screen at different angles, and can be made with both linear and circular polarization. The film also has a multi-layer coating to reduce direct reflection from the front surface. There are many resources available online for more information on how polarized cards are made.
LightningInAJar
I could swear I saw this topic in the forum in the past but haven't found it today. I was curious how polarization test cards are made to prove that a pair of glasses are polarized. Special ink or paint? What is that type of substance called or commonly used for? I'd love to use it for art. Does it require special paper medium? Anyone ever make printer ink cartridges with an ink invisible only without polarized glasses?

Engineering news on Phys.org
LightningInAJar said:
I was curious how polarization test cards are made to prove that a pair of glasses are polarized. Special ink or paint?
Chemistry could print a circular molecular polarizer, but how might you align a linearly polarized ink?

My guess is that a thin polarized film is laminated onto the test card, the same film as used to make polarized sunglasses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer#Absorptive_polarizers
"Its current H-sheet form is made from polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) plastic with an iodine doping. Stretching of the sheet during manufacture causes the PVA chains to align in one particular direction".

Likes hutchphd, LightningInAJar and BillTre
I actually have a few small polarized sheets. Not sure if they're the right kind but will see.

LightningInAJar said:
I actually have a few small polarized sheets. Not sure if they're the right kind but will see.
The "right kind" to do what?

LightningInAJar said:
I was curious how polarization test cards are made to prove that a pair of glasses are polarized.
I have no answer to your particular question, but in case you weren't aware of it, I just wanted to say that glasses can often be tested for polarization by looking with them at a screen (tv, computer etc) at different angles. I've noticed this since I often wear sunglasses :smile:.

Regarding linear and circular polarization I just fetched two of of my polarizing filters (one linear, one circular) for camera lenses and tested them on my screen, and they both worked:

1. Linear polarizing filter (at different angles):

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

2. Circular polarizing filter (at different angles):

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

Likes LightningInAJar and BillTre
Screens are now often clad in a circularly polarized film. Incident light, say LHP entering, is absorbed on the first pass, so only RHP survives to be reflected. But the reflection reverses the CP hand, to make the RHP reflect as LHP, which is absorbed on the second pass through the filter. That process of reversal, also operates on multiple internal reflections, which is why you no longer see your reflection in your computer monitor.

Direct reflection from the front surface of the CP film is also reduced by a multi-layer coating of that surface, with quarter-wave thicknesses of impedance matching materials.

• Informative
Likes LightningInAJar, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person
It's done with polarizing film. How do I know? I asked Google. "how are polarized cards made" Zillions of hits,

You really should try Google sometime.

Likes phinds and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
It's done with polarizing film. How do I know? I asked Google. "how are polarized cards made" Zillions of hits,

You really should try Google sometime.
I did. I even asked a company that sells them. The sales guy had no idea.

I guess Google just deliberately refused to give you the answer. Bad Google! Bad, naughty Google!

• Haha
Likes berkeman and BillTre

1. How do polarization test cards work?

Polarization test cards work by using special filters that only allow light waves vibrating in a specific direction to pass through. When viewed through polarized glasses, the test card will appear darker or lighter depending on the orientation of the glasses' polarizing filter. This allows for the detection of polarized light and can prove the effectiveness of polarized glasses.

2. What materials are used to create polarization test cards?

Polarization test cards are typically made from a thin layer of polarizing film sandwiched between two sheets of clear plastic. The plastic sheets can be made from a variety of materials, including acrylic, polyester, or polycarbonate. The polarizing film is usually made from a polymer material that has been stretched and aligned to create a uniform polarization pattern.

3. How are the polarizing filters aligned in polarization test cards?

The polarizing filters in polarization test cards are carefully aligned during the manufacturing process. This is typically done by using specialized equipment that can accurately measure the orientation of the polarizing film. The filters are then aligned in a specific direction to ensure consistent results when testing polarized glasses.

4. Can polarization test cards be used for all types of polarized glasses?

Yes, polarization test cards can be used to test all types of polarized glasses, including sunglasses, 3D glasses, and polarized lenses for cameras. However, it is important to note that some specialized polarized glasses, such as those used in medical or scientific equipment, may require a different type of polarization test card.

5. How accurate are polarization test cards in proving the effectiveness of polarized glasses?

Polarization test cards are highly accurate in proving the effectiveness of polarized glasses. They are designed to detect even the smallest amount of polarized light, making them a reliable tool for testing polarized glasses. However, it is important to follow the instructions provided with the test card to ensure accurate results.