How Big is Australia Compared to Texas?

In summary: Applied...)In summary, the Australian wildfires are a devastating event that is only going to get worse in the coming years.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
With now over 800 homes destroyed, 300+ damaged and countless numbers of wildlife lost.

Welcome to Christmas 2019 in Australia :cry::frown:

from my Facebook

• Sad
Likes pinball1970 and Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is very sad. And the projections for the coming decades ain't better. I just read that farmers from WA sent trucks with hay for the farmers in NSW these days.

Strangely enough it's often around christmas when big tragedies happen like in 2004 or last year's Anak Krakatau.

Likes pinball1970, Klystron and davenn
69 ( I think the is the number ) Canadians are forgoing their Xmas and heading to Australia to lend a helping hand. I imagine that this will be their best Xmas ever for them knowing they tried, or will try their utmost, aiding those in difficulty.

Likes pinball1970 and davenn
Likes pinball1970 and davenn
davenn said:
With now over 800 homes destroyed, 300+ damaged and countless numbers of wildlife lost.

from my Facebook

Awful.
Will the government be stepping in with re housing? Financial aid? Presumably this is considered an 'act of god' so insurance may not cover this?
We are lucky in the UK wrt to fire, it is flooding that is a constant threat over here.

pinball1970 said:
Will the government be stepping in with re housing? Financial aid?

There hasn't been anything specifically stated by the Govt that I have heard about on the media as of yet

pinball1970 said:
Presumably this is considered an 'act of god' so insurance may not cover this?

I can't be sure, but I would suspect that ( knowing the history of these fires in Australia) bush fire risk
would possibly be included or at least insurees would have to state they wanted fire protection as well.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Will the government be stepping in with re housing?

I heard from friends that in South Australia at least the State Government has activated their Emergency Relief Fund to coordinate donations from the public but housing is primarily shelters because it's happening right now. Support at the Federal level was already via income assistance from the Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA), but that was for New South Wales and Queensland residents and I'm not sure if it has been extended to South Australia (or even Victoria, other friends said there have been fires there as well).

pinball1970 said:
Presumably this is considered an 'act of god' so insurance may not cover this?

The 'act of god' exclusion is not common for this, and home and contents insurance usually covers bushfires, though definitions vary, as per the usual fine print.

And sadly and madly, 'scummers' are already targeting people impacted by the fires. Apparently, they phone victims claiming to be from banks looking to pass on disaster relief funds and ask for bank details. Despicable :mad:

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
I'm late in replying to this, but I am truly sorry for the people in Australia having to experience the devastation of the wildfires.

I do have a question for @davenn or any other PF members from Australia -- how widespread are the wildfires in the country as of this moment? Most of the news reports refer to the situation in New South Wales, but I'm curious to what extent the impact is being felt elsewhere in the country.

StatGuy2000 said:
how widespread are the wildfires in the country as of this moment?

The worst ones are along the east coast, NSW and eastern Victoria ( the southeast of the country)
here's a current map for all of Australia as of 5 Jan 2020
https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/

I have added the latest one on Kangaroo Isl., offshore SW of the city of Adelaide
I hadn't been added to the map on the linked page
I live in Sydney, on the east coast, you can just see the ...ney sticking out

Dave

• Informative
Likes Klystron
the amount of smoke from the fires is mind boggling. It has produced the worst air pollution in
New Zealand, 2000 km or so away, that they have ever seen

01 Jan 2020 smoke all way across to NZ

200101 1440AEST Bushfire smoke across NZ zoomed sm.jpg

04 Jan 2020 smoke cloud

200104 0520AEST Bushfire smoke sm.jpg

davenn said:
New Zealand, 2000 km or so away, that they have ever seen
... and some more glaciers will melt faster than thought!

fresh_42 said:
... and some more glaciers will melt faster than thought!

quite possibly. NZ isn't getting these extreme temperature that we get in Australia.
But I did see one media photo last week of a mountain scene in NZ's Southern Alps where the snow and glacier ice had turned brown

davenn said:
quite possibly. NZ isn't getting these extreme temperature that we get in Australia.
But I did see one media photo last week of a mountain scene in NZ's Southern Alps where the snow and glacier ice had turned brown
Yes, the worsened albedo, not the temperature is the problem.

We have this here in the alps, when Sahara sands are blown across the sea. It actually breaks if your skiing on it. (applied physics)

Likes davenn
from a local fellow storm friend Michael Thompson, aka ozthunder on youtube

a video with bursts of timelapse showing the massive pyrocumunlonimbus clouds

this generated a significant thunderstorm within it
a frame grab from the Weatherzone.com.au Sydney radar and lightning

200104 1830AEST Bushfire smoke-lightning radar.jpg

all the white are lightning strikesDave

davenn said:

1578184712231.jpeg

davenn said:
The worst ones are along the east coast, NSW and eastern Victoria ( the southeast of the country)
here's a current map for all of Australia as of 5 Jan 2020
https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/

I have added the latest one on Kangaroo Isl., offshore SW of the city of Adelaide
I hadn't been added to the map on the linked page
I live in Sydney, on the east coast, you can just see the ...ney sticking out

Dave

Thanks for providing the update. I hope you and your family are safe where you are. I can only imagine, in addition to the fire threat, the threat of air pollution resulting from the wildfires (in another post you did state the problem of air pollution in New Zealand caused from the Australian wildfires).

I can also only imagine that, in addition to the real human and environmental costs of the wildfires (read on a BBC report that millions of animal life had perished during the wildfires) the economic costs that would impact Australia, in terms of destruction or damage to homes and infrastructure, lost tourism revenues, damage/loss of agricultural land, damage to businesses, etc.

A bit of size perspective for those outside of Australia …..

Australia vs USA and fires.jpg

• Informative
Likes Klystron
@davenn, people in Texas will say that you have grossly exaggerated the size of Australia and that it is actually smaller than Texas. Of course, they say that about EVERYTHING, so ...

phinds said:
@davenn, people in Texas will say that you have grossly exaggerated the size of Australia and that it is actually smaller than Texas. Of course, they say that about EVERYTHING, so …
hahaha, indeed :rolleyes:

phinds said:
@davenn, people in Texas will say that you have grossly exaggerated the size of Australia and that it is actually smaller than Texas. Of course, they say that about EVERYTHING, so ...
As one can plainly see from the graphic above, Australia only covers about 1/3 of Texas.

• Haha
Likes davenn and phinds

1. What is the weather like during Christmas in Australia?

The weather in Australia during Christmas varies depending on which part of the country you are in. In the northern parts, such as Queensland and the Northern Territory, it is usually hot and sunny during Christmas. In the southern parts, such as Victoria and Tasmania, it can be cooler with temperatures ranging from 20-25 degrees Celsius.

2. How do Australians celebrate Christmas?

Australians celebrate Christmas in many ways, but some common traditions include decorating their homes with lights and Christmas trees, having a big feast with family and friends, and exchanging gifts. Many Australians also attend Christmas carol services and participate in outdoor activities such as barbeques and beach outings.

3. Is Santa Claus still a part of Christmas in Australia?

Yes, Santa Claus is still a part of Christmas in Australia. However, he is often depicted wearing a hat and sunglasses due to the warm climate. Some Australians also refer to him as "Surfing Santa" as he is often seen in advertisements and decorations riding a surfboard.

4. What are some traditional Christmas foods in Australia?

Some traditional Christmas foods in Australia include roasted meats such as turkey, ham, and pork, accompanied by vegetables like roasted potatoes and pumpkin. Seafood is also popular, especially prawns and oysters. For dessert, Australians often enjoy a pavlova, a meringue-based cake topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream.

5. Do Australians have any unique Christmas traditions?

Australians have some unique Christmas traditions, such as the Carols by Candlelight event, where people gather in outdoor venues to sing Christmas carols by candlelight. Another tradition is the Boxing Day Test Match, a cricket match held on December 26th, which is a public holiday in Australia. Some families also participate in the "White Elephant" gift exchange, where everyone brings a wrapped gift and takes turns opening and stealing gifts from one another.