How can a -1 exponent be manipulated in the Sinh series?

In summary: Thank you again.In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving series manipulation and the use of the reciprocal rule for exponents. The person is confused about how a -1 exponent is obtained in one step and then lost in the next step, but thanks to the help of others, they are able to understand and solve the problem.
saybrook1

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm not trying to solve this exact problem although mine is similar and I am confused on how they were able to get a -1 in the exponent from one step to another.

Homework Equations

I have attached a picture indicating the step that I am confused about. How are they able to manipulate the series and pull out that -1 into the exponent thereby finding the residue?

The Attempt at a Solution

Some sort of series manipulation that I can't figure out; any help is greatly appreciated, thank you guys!

Attachments

• example1.png
    example1.png
    23 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
It comes from the reciprocal rule for exponents.

In general, ## \frac{1}{x^n} = x^{-n} ##. So as an example:

## \frac{1}{x^4-x^6} = \frac{1}{x^4(1-x^2)} = x^{-4}(1-x^2)^{-1}##

saybrook1 said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm not trying to solve this exact problem although mine is similar and I am confused on how they were able to get a -1 in the exponent from one step to another.

Homework Equations

I have attached a picture indicating the step that I am confused about. How are they able to manipulate the series and pull out that -1 into the exponent thereby finding the residue?

The Attempt at a Solution

Some sort of series manipulation that I can't figure out; any help is greatly appreciated, thank you guys!
The common factor -(z - πi)3 can be factored out of the series expression of sinh3 z before it is inverted. The series involves only alternating odd powers of the common factor. After that, for the inversion, one can apply mfiq's hint about using the law of exponents.

There's no magic here - just straightforward algebra.

Awesome, makes perfect sense. Thank you both.

If either of you can still see this, would you possibly be able to tell me how they then lose that -1 power on the next line down allowing them to find the residue? Thanks again.

saybrook1 said:
If either of you can still see this, would you possibly be able to tell me how they then lose that -1 power on the next line down allowing them to find the residue? Thanks again.
Nevermind, think I've got it now.

What is the Sinh series?

The Sinh series is a mathematical series that is based on the hyperbolic sine function, which is a mathematical function used to model certain types of exponential growth.

What is the purpose of manipulating the Sinh series?

The purpose of manipulating the Sinh series is to simplify it and make it easier to work with in mathematical calculations and analyses. This manipulation often involves rewriting the series in a different form or using mathematical techniques to simplify it.

What are some common techniques used to manipulate the Sinh series?

Some common techniques used to manipulate the Sinh series include using trigonometric identities, expanding the series using the binomial theorem, and using algebraic manipulation to factor and simplify the series.

What are some applications of the Sinh series?

The Sinh series has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is often used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics. It can also be used to solve differential equations and other complex mathematical problems.

How do I know which manipulation technique to use for a specific Sinh series?

The best way to determine which manipulation technique to use for a specific Sinh series is to first identify the goal of the manipulation. Then, you can try different techniques and choose the one that best achieves the desired result. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques to effectively manipulate the series.