How can a funnel be both paintable and unpaintable at the same time?

In summary: Proof: We start with the assumption that we only have enough paint to cover the origin. To do this, we need to cover the origin with a disk of radius ##r##. So we start with a disk of radius ##r## and paint it. Now, the question is: how much paint is left? The answer is: there is still ##m## cubic units of paint left. So we can paint the whole plane by painting more disks of radius ##r##. This process will continue until we have painted the whole plane or run out of paint.
Dynamic Change
NB. first time using Latex so apologies if something came out wrong, I've done my best to double check it.

Consider the curve [itex]y = \frac{1}{x}[/itex] from [itex]x=1[/itex] to [itex]x=\infty[/itex]. Rotate this curve around the x-axis to create a funnel-like surface of revolution. By slicing up the funnel into disks with [itex]r=\frac {1}{x}[/itex] and thickness [itex]dx[/itex] (and hence volume ([itex]\pi r^2 dx[/itex])) stacked side by side, the volume of the funnel is
[itex]V = \int_1^\infty \frac{\pi}{x^2} dx=- \frac{\pi}{x}\mid\int_1^\infty = \pi,[/itex]

which is finite. The surface area however involves the circumferential of the disks, which is [itex](2\pi r)dx[/itex] multiplied by a [itex] \sqrt{1+y'2}[/itex] factor accountng for the tilt of the area. The surface of the funnel is therefore

[itex]A = \int_1^\infty \frac{2\pi\sqrt{1+y'2}}{x} dx > \int_1^\infty \frac{2\pi}{x}dx[/itex]
which is infinite. As the volume is finite but the area is infinite, the funnel can be filled with paint but you can't paint it. Which appears to be a paradox since one should be painting the inside surface when filling up the funnel. But the inside surface=outside surface given the funnel has no thickness.So the question asks me to basically make sense of this paradox, I've done a lot of headscratching over it but thinking logically I simply can't find find our what's going on here, since , having checked over the equations theoretically the statements posed by the question are logical and I see no disconnect, so seems possible but impossible in reality given the paint should be at a constant (visible) thickness which I assume.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dynamic Change said:
NB. first time using Latex so apologies if something came out wrong, I've done my best to double check it.

Consider the curve [itex]y = \frac{1}{x}[/itex] from [itex]x=1[/itex] to [itex]x=\infty[/itex]. Rotate this curve around the x-axis to create a funnel-like surface of revolution. By slicing up the funnel into disks with [itex]r=\frac {1}{x}[/itex] and thickness [itex]dx[/itex] (and hence volume ([itex]\pi r^2 dx[/itex])) stacked side by side, the volume of the funnel is
[itex]V = \int_1^\infty \frac{\pi}{x^2} dx=- \frac{\pi}{x}\mid\int_1^\infty = \pi,[/itex]

which is finite. The surface area however involves the circumferential of the disks, which is [itex](2\pi r)dx[/itex] multiplied by a [itex] \sqrt{1+y'2}[/itex] factor accountng for the tilt of the area. The surface of the funnel is therefore

[itex]A = \int_1^\infty \frac{2\pi\sqrt{1+y'2}}{x} dx > \int_1^\infty \frac{2\pi}{x}dx[/itex]
which is infinite. As the volume is finite but the area is infinite, the funnel can be filled with paint but you can't paint it. Which appears to be a paradox since one should be painting the inside surface when filling up the funnel. But the inside surface=outside surface given the funnel has no thickness.So the question asks me to basically make sense of this paradox, I've done a lot of headscratching over it but thinking logically I simply can't find find our what's going on here, since , having checked over the equations theoretically the statements posed by the question are logical and I see no disconnect, so seems possible but impossible in reality given the paint should be at a constant (visible) thickness which I assume.

First, you can't fill something mathematically infinite with paint nor paint it.

But, thinking mathematically, you can paint it: you just need a diminishing thickness of paint. Essentialy that is what is happening with the volume. You start with the equivalent of thick paint (filling the funnel) but as you go further from the origin the thickness of the funnel reduces without limit.

You could paint it on the outside - with a finite volume of paint - by copying what you do on the inside.

Intriguing. But they have made it seem unfamiliar by taking a 3-dimensional case. If you think of it, in all the integrals
y dx that you have ever done that were finite, the curve in the x, y plane had infinite length.
So it's not a special case and the fact is actually familiar, though still needing some explaining perhaps.

( the ∫ from Σ does not always come out very well I see!)

Last edited:
It's interesting that given paint is made up of atomic particles, it hence has a certain size and so at some point, no paint would be able to fit further down the funnel. Whatever depth this is at, you would have only painted a finite surface area, and so you still have an infinite area that you physically can't paint.

If you want to google this, it's called Gabriel's Horn.

Here's my take. Let's talk about painting the xy plane. I will suppose we have an infinitely non viscous paint, by which I mean, if a coat of it has any positive thickness, it could be spread over a greater area.

Definition: The plane is painted if given any ##r>0## the disk centered at the origin of radius ##r## is painted.

Theorem: If you have ##m>0## cubic units of paint (the good stuff defined above), that is sufficient to paint the plane.

Proof. Suppose ##r>0##. Apply your ##m## units of paint to the disk of radius ##r## centered at the origin. This can be done since the thickness of the coat is ##\frac m {\pi r^2}>0##. So there is no contradiction, in principle, about painting an infinite surface with a finite volume of paint.

So you could just pour your paint on the origin and let it spread.

Likes Dynamic Change, GFauxPas and PeroK

Related to How can a funnel be both paintable and unpaintable at the same time?

1. What is the "Infinite Curve Problem"?

The "Infinite Curve Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the length of a curve that extends infinitely in both directions. This problem is also known as the "Infinite Arc Length Problem."

2. What is the significance of the "Infinite Curve Problem"?

The "Infinite Curve Problem" is significant because it challenges the traditional methods of finding the length of a curve, which only work for finite curves. It also has practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and architecture.

3. How is the "Infinite Curve Problem" solved?

The "Infinite Curve Problem" is solved using mathematical concepts such as calculus and limits. By breaking the curve into smaller and smaller segments and using the concept of a limit, the length of the curve can be approximated and calculated.

4. What are some real-life examples of the "Infinite Curve Problem"?

Some real-life examples of the "Infinite Curve Problem" include finding the length of a coastline, the shape of a river, or the trajectory of a satellite orbiting the Earth. These situations involve curves that extend infinitely and require the use of the "Infinite Curve Problem" to calculate their length.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the "Infinite Curve Problem"?

Yes, there are limitations to solving the "Infinite Curve Problem." The solution involves taking an infinite number of infinitesimal segments, which is not physically possible. Therefore, the solution is an approximation and not an exact value. Additionally, the curve must be continuous and differentiable for the solution to be accurate.