How can cogging torque be reduced in permanent magnet synchronous motors?

• Auto/Motor
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model Tesla
In summary, a Tesla Model S owner named Greg Furstenwerth took on the repairs of his car himself after the warranty period expired. He found it surprisingly easy, comparing it to putting together Legos. When considering buying an electric vehicle, like a Tesla Model S or Lucid Air, it is important to consider the technology used. Lucid Motors uses a permanent magnet synchronous motor, which is different from the more conventional induction motor used by Tesla. Some innovative technology is used in the Lucid Air to reduce torque cogging. The CEO and CTO of Lucid Motors, Peter Rawlinson, is known for his work on the Tesla Model S and the Lucid Air. However, car parts, especially for electric vehicles, can
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
This Tesla Model S Owner Repairs His Own Car, because after the warranty period expires, you're on your own.

Greg Furstenwerth was an early adopter of the Tesla Model S, but once the car was out of warranty he had a hard time getting the parts and service he needed. So he took on the repairs himself, and found it surprisingly easy. “If you can put together Legos you can put together a Tesla.”

When considering buying an electric vehicle, like a Tesla Model S or Lucid Air, consider the technology. Lucid uses a permanent magnet synchronous motor as compared to a more conventional induction motor. Some innovative technology reduces torque cogging

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...air-will-have-517-mile-range/?sh=6740de4e4b37
https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that...ars/lucid-air-ev-500-miles-on-a-single-charge
https://www.motioncontroltips.com/whats-the-difference-between-cogging-torque-and-torque-ripple/

Lucid Motors CEO and CTO is Peter Rawlinson, who is known for his work as Chief Engineer on the Tesla Model S and the Lucid Air.

Likes russ_watters, Greg Bernhardt and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
This Tesla Model S Owner Repairs His Own Car, because after the warranty period expires, you're on your own.
Car parts are expensive. $1500 for a Tesla headlight ?:)

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
As someone who works with vibrations in PMSMs, I was hoping for a looser-lipped explanation of their cogging torque reduction techniques...

For a given slot/pole combination, it's mostly geometric considerations.
Cogging can be reduced by:
increasing air gap
doming the poles
skewing the slots or poles
changing the slot tooth depth or opening...

All of these have their own drawbacks in efficiency and overall torque production. But none of this is proprietary information.

1. How do I fix a flat tire on my Tesla Model S?

To fix a flat tire on your Tesla Model S, you will need to follow these steps:

• First, find a safe location to pull over and turn on your hazard lights.
  • Locate the tire repair kit in your trunk, which includes a sealant and an air compressor.
  • Remove the valve cap from the flat tire and attach the air compressor to the valve stem.
  • Follow the instructions on the sealant bottle and inject it into the tire.
  • Use the air compressor to inflate the tire to the recommended pressure.
  • Drive slowly to the nearest service center for a permanent tire repair or replacement.

2. How often should I check and replace my Tesla Model S' brake pads?

Tesla recommends checking your brake pads every 12,500 miles and replacing them when the thickness is less than 3mm. However, the regenerative braking system in Tesla vehicles helps to reduce wear on the brake pads, so they may last longer than traditional brake pads.

3. Can I change the oil on my Tesla Model S myself?

No, Tesla vehicles do not have traditional combustion engines and do not require oil changes. The only fluid that may need to be changed is the brake fluid, which should be done by a certified technician.

4. How do I reset the service light on my Tesla Model S?

To reset the service light on your Tesla Model S, follow these steps:

• Press the brake pedal and hold down the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel.
  • While holding down the scroll wheel, press the brake pedal 3 times within 10 seconds.
  • Release the scroll wheel and the service light should reset.

5. Can I install aftermarket parts on my Tesla Model S?

While Tesla does not recommend installing aftermarket parts on their vehicles, it is possible to do so. However, it may void your warranty and could potentially cause damage to your vehicle. It is best to consult with a certified technician before making any modifications to your Tesla Model S.

Back