How can e^(1/z) be written using the definition of e^z?

In summary, in order to write e^(1/z) in the other form, we can use the definition of e^z which is e^x * [cos(y) + i * sin(y)]. However, the x,y in the definition do not necessarily have to correspond to the real and imaginary parts of the complex number z. We can use the definition of z=x+iy and plug in the values for x and y to find the real and imaginary parts of e^(1/z).
filter54321
How do you write e^(1/z) in the other form?

z = x+yi

So we should be able to right it using this definition of e^z, no?

e^z = e^x * [cos(y) + i * sin(y)]

I pushed some numbers around the page for a while but I can't get 1/(x+i*y) to split into anything nice. Is there a trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
...actually, I think I was confusing myself. The x,y in the definition don't have to be matching up with the x,y from the complex number z. The x,y in the definition correspond to the real and imaginary parts of an arbitrary complex z.Would you plug this into the definition?

real:
x/(x^2+y^2)

imaginary:
-y/(x^2+y^2)

filter54321 said:
...actually, I think I was confusing myself. The x,y in the definition don't have to be matching up with the x,y from the complex number z. The x,y in the definition correspond to the real and imaginary parts of an arbitrary complex z.

Would you plug this into the definition?

real:
x/(x^2+y^2)

imaginary:
-y/(x^2+y^2)

simple answer no.

z=x+iy

[Re]z = x [Im]z = y

or z= cosq +isinq => eiq

if you look in your textbook you should have all the definitions necessary

e^(1/z)
z = x + iy = e^itheta = cos(theta) + isin(theta)

e^(1/z) = e^(1/e^itheta) = e^(e^i(-theta)) = e^(cos(-theta) + isin(-theta)) = ...

can you go from here?

Related to How can e^(1/z) be written using the definition of e^z?

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the use of techniques from both real analysis and complex numbers to study the properties and behavior of these functions.

2. What does e^(1/z) represent in complex analysis?

e^(1/z) is a special function called the complex exponential function. It is defined as the exponential function raised to the power of 1/z, where z is a complex number. The behavior of this function is unique and has many interesting properties.

3. How is e^(1/z) used in complex analysis?

e^(1/z) is used to study the complex plane and its transformations. It is also used in the study of conformal mappings, which are transformations that preserve angles and shapes. This function is also important in the study of complex integration and series.

4. What is the significance of e^(1/z) in complex analysis?

e^(1/z) is significant because it has a singularity at z=0, meaning it is undefined at that point. This singularity is essential in understanding the behavior of complex functions and can help reveal important properties of a function, such as its poles and zeros.

5. What are some applications of complex analysis in real life?

Complex analysis has many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and finance. It is used to study the behavior of electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing. In finance, it is used to analyze stock market trends and predict market behavior.