How can enthalpy values be calculated for an isothermal process involving steam?

In summary, equations relevant to finding the initial and final enthalpy values of an isothermal process include the initial dryness fraction, heat value, and the equation \frac{dE}{dt}=\dot{Q}-\dot{W}+\overbrace{\sum_{i}\dot{m_i}\left(h_i+\frac{v_{i}^{2}}{2}+z_i \right)}^{Inlet flow}-\overbrace{\sum_{j}\dot{m_j}\left(h_j+\frac{v_{j}^{2}}{2}+z_j \right)}^{Outlet flow}. If heat is transferred at constant pressure, the final enthalpy value can be found by adding
Jameseyboy
What equations are relevant to finding the initial and final enthalpy values of an isothermal process?

There is an initial dryness fraction and a heat value is also added.

I know how to use steam tables to find the initial value of H but not the final. Does H even change?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to provide a bit more detail about the specific problem. Suppose you are referring to condensation which is essentially isothermal heat rejection. So if you know the inital value of h (from an assumption of isentropic expansion through the turbine, for example), the final value of h will depend on the condition of the working fluid at the end. If you are told saturated water is present at the exit, that just means you can find the value of hf at the same temperature as that at the inlet (isothermal, T=constant).

I think this equation might solve your problem.

[itex]\frac{dE}{dt}=\dot{Q}-\dot{W}+\overbrace{\sum_{i}\dot{m_i}\left(h_i+\frac{v_{i}^{2}}{2}+z_i \right)}^{Inlet flow}-\overbrace{\sum_{j}\dot{m_j}\left(h_j+\frac{v_{j}^{2}}{2}+z_j \right)}^{Outlet flow}[/itex]

I assume you know how to find the enthalpy of a saturated liquid- vapour mixture. If heat is transferred at constant pressure, ie. at saturation pressure, just add the amount of heat to the initial enthalpy value, to get to the final enthalpy value.
If heat addition is not isobaric, but isothermal, the enthalpy should increase till the mixture gets converted into saturated vapour. Beyond that, it would remain constant. You will see a pressure drop and increase in volume.

Related to How can enthalpy values be calculated for an isothermal process involving steam?

What is a steam isothermal process?

A steam isothermal process is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature of the system remains constant throughout the process. This means that the heat transfer and work done by the system are balanced, resulting in no change in temperature.

What is the significance of a steam isothermal process?

A steam isothermal process is important because it allows for efficient heat transfer and work done. This makes it useful in many industrial and scientific applications, such as power generation and chemical reactions.

How is a steam isothermal process different from an adiabatic process?

In a steam isothermal process, the temperature remains constant, while in an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. This means that in an adiabatic process, the temperature can change, whereas in an isothermal process it cannot.

What is an example of a steam isothermal process?

A common example of a steam isothermal process is the expansion of steam in a turbine. The steam enters the turbine at a high temperature and pressure, and as it expands and does work on the turbine blades, the temperature remains constant.

How is a steam isothermal process represented on a thermodynamic diagram?

A steam isothermal process is represented as a horizontal line on a thermodynamic diagram, as the temperature remains constant. The work done by the system is represented by the area under the curve, and the heat transfer is represented by the slope of the line.