How can grass be turned into fertilizer after digestion?

• Thread starter matt the rat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Digestion
In summary: They only get nutrients from fertilizer.In summary, the conversation discusses how grass, after being eaten by a cow and then excreted as fertilizer, can still be an excellent nutrient source for plants. The nutrients for cows may not necessarily be the same for plants, but the cow's digestive process transforms the grass into a form that is usable for plants. The cow's role is to extract nutrients and energy from the grass, while plants get their energy from the sun and nutrients from the soil. Therefore, the cow's excrement still contains valuable nutrients for plants to grow, making it an effective fertilizer.
matt the rat
I don't understand how grass can enter an animal like a cow, have nutrients extracted by the cow and then be excremented as fertilizer? My point is that if i got the same grass, soaked in water and added it to plants without removing any nutrients it would be a useless fertilizer. How come you ca take the same grass that has been robbed of nutrition and the result is an excellent plant fertilizer? The cow cannot add nutrients of its own or it would e entually starve of the nutrient. Please explain.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
matt the rat said:
My point is that if i got the same grass, soaked in water and added it to plants without removing any nutrients it would be a useless fertilizer.
What about compost?

matt the rat said:
How come you ca take the same grass that has been robbed of nutrition and the result is an excellent plant fertilizer? The cow cannot add nutrients of its own or it would e entually starve of the nutrient. Please explain.
Why are you assuming that nutrients for cows are nutrients for plants? What is the source of energy for a cow? What is the source of energy for a plant?

because that's what cows eat? where else do they get their nutrition from? Please answer question to be helpful. Thankyou

grass compost is never as good as fertiliser, in my experience, and often has lots of dirt added

matt the rat said:
because that's what cows eat? where else do they get their nutrition from? Please answer question to be helpful. Thankyou
I want you to think about the question. This is what we do here at PF!

My point is that there is no reason to expect that a nutrient for a cow will be a nutrient for a plant, so it makes sense that the cow nutrient be transformed by the cow into something that becomes a nutrient for a plant.

And I will ask again the last question: what is the source of energy for a cow? What is the source of energy for a plant?

Sorry I am not a scientist in any way. I know I am seeing this in simplistic terms. Here is my best effort without research. The cow probably eats large volumes of plant material to produce some manure therefore it may be somewhat concentrated. Something occures in the cows internal organs that converts the plant material to a product that is more readily available to plants receiving manure. Any nutrients removed by the cow does not rob the plants as theydo not need those nutrients

matt the rat said:
Sorry I am not a scientist in any way.
Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your background?

Back ground avid grower of chilli plants

Asbestos tongue, eh?

Yes bystander that does help

Growing the worlds hotest chilli and othe varieties, chillies can be hard to grow, and eat.

Plants get energy from the sun, carbon from the air, and nutrients from the soil. If the cow removes the energy and the carbon from the grass, whatever is left is still usable for a new plant, since plants don't get energy or carbon from fertilizer.

1. How exactly does grass get turned into fertilizer after digestion?

After an animal eats grass, it undergoes a process called digestion where enzymes and bacteria break down the grass into smaller molecules that can be absorbed by the animal's body. The undigested parts of the grass, along with waste products, are then excreted as feces. These feces contain nutrients from the digested grass, which can be used as fertilizer.

2. What are the benefits of using grass as fertilizer?

Grass contains essential nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, which are crucial for plant growth. When it is turned into fertilizer after digestion, it can provide these nutrients to other plants, improving their health and growth. Additionally, using grass as fertilizer is a sustainable and eco-friendly practice, as it reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.

3. Is there a specific type of animal that produces the best grass fertilizer?

All animals that consume grass can produce fertilizer after digestion. However, some animals, such as cows and horses, have a more efficient digestive system and produce larger quantities of fertilizer. Other factors, such as the animal's diet and health, can also affect the quality of the fertilizer produced.

4. Can grass fertilizer be used on all types of plants?

Yes, grass fertilizer can be used on a variety of plants, including fruits, vegetables, and ornamental plants. However, it is important to consider the nutrient needs of the specific plant before using the fertilizer, as different plants require different levels of nutrients.

5. How can grass fertilizer be applied to plants?

Grass fertilizer can be applied to plants by directly spreading it on the soil or mixing it with water to create a liquid fertilizer. It is important to follow the recommended application rates and techniques to avoid over-fertilizing, which can harm plants and the environment. Additionally, it is best to apply grass fertilizer during the growing season to ensure maximum nutrient absorption by plants.