How Can I Accurately Measure the Rate of Reaction in Homogeneous Catalysis?

In summary, when conducting an experiment to measure the rate of reaction, two feasible methods are measuring a pH change using a pH meter or measuring the consumption or generation of a compound bearing optical properties. The latter may be more accurate, but it may also involve complications in maintaining a constant temperature. For a simpler approach, measuring the pH change would be recommended. The specific reaction to use would depend on the catalyst being studied. Other methods for measuring the rate of reaction accurately include pressure change, but this would not be suitable for all reactions.
androol
I'm studying homogeneous catalysis and reaction kinetics, and I want to conduct an experiment that measure the rate of reaction by either:

1. a pH change​
or
2. consumption or generation of a compound bearing optical properties.​

Which one is more feasible? Hopefully you'll suggest a nice reaction.

What other ways can I experimentally measure the rate of reaction accurately (besides pressure change for 2H2O2 -> 2H2O + O2)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For option 1) simply measure the pH change using a pH meter, this would probably be the simplest approach.

I think measuring the optical properties will be more accurate, but there will certainly be complications involved in keeping the reaction at constant temperature, etc.

so measuring pH change will be more simple. Is there a reaction that comes to your mind?

Thnx in advance for helping me :)

not exactly, I though that perhaps this was specified in your assignment. If the reaction does not involve significant trend in pH change, then obviously you'll have to consider another method. It all depends on which catalyst you have in mind or were assigned.

Related to How Can I Accurately Measure the Rate of Reaction in Homogeneous Catalysis?

1. What is the definition of rate of reaction?

The rate of reaction is the measure of how quickly a chemical reaction occurs, or the speed at which reactants are converted into products.

2. How is the rate of reaction calculated?

The rate of reaction is calculated by dividing the change in concentration of a reactant or product by the change in time, and taking into account the stoichiometry of the reaction.

3. What factors can affect the rate of reaction?

The rate of reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, catalysts, and presence of inhibitors.

4. How do you measure the rate of reaction in a laboratory setting?

The rate of reaction can be measured by monitoring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over a period of time using techniques such as spectrophotometry, titration, or gas collection.

5. Why is it important to measure the rate of reaction?

Measuring the rate of reaction allows scientists to understand the kinetics of a reaction, which can provide valuable information for industrial processes, drug development, and environmental studies.