How can i build a homemade particle accelerator?

In summary, the conversation is about building a homemade particle accelerator and the person is seeking advice on the materials and specifications needed. They are also warned about the safety concerns and encouraged to seek help from professionals or work on safer projects first.
Armando Valle
Hello people, i was thinking about building a homemade particle accelerator but i do not know the materials and specifications to build one, can you guys help me know what thing do i need to buy and how to make one? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Armando Valle said:
Hello people, i was thinking about building a homemade particle accelerator but i do not know the materials and specifications to build one, can you guys help me know what thing do i need to buy and how to make one? Thanks
Greg Bernhardt said:
Look through the "Similar Discussions" at the bottom of this page first.
...and notice that the DIY particle accelerator threads are closed for safety reasons.

If you are at university, please contact your professors to get help to safely try this, or to work with an already-built small-scale accelerator. There are just too many safety issues involved for an amateur to try this (high vacuum safety, radiation safety, high voltage safety, etc.).

There are many more projects that are much safer to work on first. If you eventually end up at university working on an accelerator research team, that would be great. :smile:

Likes mfb

1. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator is a machine that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and steer charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to high speeds. These particles are then directed into collision with a target, producing new particles and providing insights into the structure of matter.

2. What materials do I need to build a homemade particle accelerator?

The materials needed to build a homemade particle accelerator depend on the type and size of the accelerator you want to create. Generally, you will need a vacuum chamber, a source of high voltage, magnets, and particle detectors. Other materials, such as wires, power supplies, and control systems, may also be necessary.

3. Is it safe to build a homemade particle accelerator?

Building a homemade particle accelerator can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. The high voltage and radiation involved can cause harm if not handled correctly. It is essential to have a thorough understanding of the equipment and safety protocols before attempting to build a particle accelerator.

4. How much does it cost to build a homemade particle accelerator?

The cost of building a homemade particle accelerator can vary greatly depending on the type and size of the accelerator and the materials used. A simple and small-scale accelerator can cost a few hundred dollars, while a larger and more complex one can cost thousands of dollars.

5. Can I use a homemade particle accelerator for scientific research?

It is highly unlikely that a homemade particle accelerator would be suitable for scientific research. The equipment and materials used in professional accelerators are highly specialized and require precise engineering and testing. Homemade accelerators may be able to demonstrate some basic principles, but they are not capable of producing the same level of results as professional accelerators.