How can I construct 2 x 2 normal matrices A and B such that A + B is not normal?

In summary: Can you give us an example of a non-normal matrix?1 1 0 1Sure there's a way. Try and write it as the sum of a symmetric matrix and an antisymmetric matrix.Now I understand. I used0 11 0 and 0 -11 0Now I understand. I used0 11 00 -11 00 -11 00 11 00 10 -11 00 11 00 -10 11 00 1
tazzzdo
Normal Matrices Examples (URGENT)

I need to produce 2 x 2 normal matrices A and B such that A + B is not normal. I have proven that AB is normal if AB = BA using the Householder matrix form. But I can't find a form for A + B failing to be normal.

A matrix A with entries a, b, c, d is going to be normal if b = c. But that means a matrix B has to have b = c to be normal as well. So A + B will have 2b, 2c for the 1,2 and 2,1 entries as well which will make A + B normal.

Unless I'm totally off. I have to get this done in the next 3 hours.

Physics news on Phys.org

Please don't write things like

tazzzdo said:
I have to get this done in the next 3 hours.

or "urgent". You will actually get less replies that way.

Schoolwork?

relax, the world will not end if this drags out.

I suggest starting by thinking up a really simple non normal matrix, then try to realize it as A+B where A and B are a little nicer. (This took me about 30 seconds.)

berkeman said:
Schoolwork?

I've moved it to homework.

I don't understand how to make a non-normal matrix break down into 2 normal matrices. That's the whole point of my post.

tazzzdo said:
I don't understand how to make a non-normal matrix break down into 2 normal matrices. That's the whole point of my post.

Can you give us an example of a non-normal matrix?

1 1
0 1

There is no way to make that matrix the sum of 2 normal matrices A and B?

Last edited:

tazzzdo said:
1 1
0 1

There is no way to make that matrix the sum of 2 normal matrices A and B?

Sure there's a way. Try and write it as the sum of a symmetric matrix and an antisymmetric matrix.

Last edited:

Now I understand. I used

0 1
1 0

and

0 -1
1 0

tazzzdo said:
Now I understand. I used

0 1
1 0

and

0 -1
1 0

Sure. That works.

Love being in grad school and missing stupid things like that. -__- Preciate the help.

nice hint, micro mass. good job, tazzzdo.

Related to How can I construct 2 x 2 normal matrices A and B such that A + B is not normal?

What are normal matrices?

Normal matrices are square matrices that commute with their conjugate transpose. In other words, a normal matrix A satisfies the condition A*AH = AH*A, where AH is the conjugate transpose of A.

Can you give some examples of normal matrices?

Some common examples of normal matrices include the identity matrix, diagonal matrices, and symmetric matrices. Other examples include the Pauli spin matrices and the Hermitian matrices.

How are normal matrices used in scientific research?

Normal matrices are used in various fields of science, particularly in physics and engineering, to describe and analyze physical systems. They are also used in data analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics, among others.

What properties do normal matrices possess?

Normal matrices have several properties that make them useful in scientific research. They are diagonalizable, meaning they can be written in terms of their eigenvalues and eigenvectors. They also have orthogonal eigenvectors, which makes them useful in certain applications.

In what ways are normal matrices different from other matrices?

Normal matrices have several unique properties that distinguish them from other matrices. They are always diagonalizable and have orthogonal eigenvectors, unlike non-normal matrices. Additionally, normal matrices are used to represent various physical phenomena and have applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing.