How Can I Create a Light-Emitting Plasmoid Using a 1 Watt 808nm Diode Laser?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a glowing plasmoid in the air using a 1 watt 808 nm diode laser. The person is converting nitrogen in the air into a plasma and is wondering if there is a way to pulse the laser or use the 808 itself to create the plasmoid. They are also seeking information on the required wattage and frequency of pulses to induce a plasma in air. It is mentioned that a diode laser with a nanosecond pulse length may not work and other types of lasers may be easier to use. It is noted that to produce a plasma, high electric fields are needed and the beam parameters can be calculated from there.
greenev363
Would anyone know or happen to be able direct me to some information:

How would I create a glowing plasmoid in the air using a 1 watt 808 nm diode laser?

Essentially I am converting the nitrogen in the air into a plasma using a 1watt 808nm diode laser focused to a point.

Now is there anyway to pulse this laser the same way a qswitch would pulse a yag laser?
Or is it possible to create a light emitting plasmoid using the 808 itself?

Any information on this would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
as far as i know one needs amplified ultra-short pulses to generate a plasma jet. which means something like 4 Watt at 3 khZ and 30 fs pulse length. with this parameter you should easy get a plasma within the focus of the laser. a diode laser with ns pulse length or so shouldn't work.

I'm looking for specific values such as how many watts per mm3 from an 808 nm diode laser, pulsed at whatever rate is required to induce a plasma within the available nitrogen in typical cubic mm of air. This plasmoid has to be visible.
Or are there other easier ways such as a different type of laser, however, I currently have the 808 and I would like to stick with it.

To produce a plasma you need electric fields that are high enough to ionize the matter. from that point you can calculate back the parameters of the beam.

1. How is plasma created in nitrogen?

Plasma can be created in nitrogen by applying a high amount of energy, such as through electrical discharges or intense heat, to the gas. This causes the nitrogen molecules to lose electrons and become ionized, forming a plasma state.

2. What is the purpose of creating plasma in nitrogen?

Creating plasma in nitrogen allows for the study and analysis of the properties and behavior of this unique state of matter. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials processing and plasma-based technologies.

3. What factors affect the creation of plasma in nitrogen?

The creation of plasma in nitrogen is affected by factors such as the type and intensity of energy used, the pressure and temperature of the gas, and the presence of other gases or impurities in the environment.

4. Can plasma in nitrogen be controlled?

Yes, plasma in nitrogen can be controlled through the manipulation of the energy source and other external factors. This allows for the customization of plasma properties for specific applications.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when creating plasma in nitrogen?

Safety precautions should be taken when creating plasma in nitrogen, as it involves high energy and can produce hazardous byproducts. Proper protective equipment and procedures should be followed, and the process should be conducted in a well-ventilated and controlled environment.