How can I design a spark ignition system with a wider energy delivery range?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a spark ignition system with a wider range of energy delivery than a typical MSD system, which is limited to about a 10 mJ range. They are interested in designing a meter to measure spark energy and are questioning the need for more energy beyond what a typical HEI ignition system provides. They also raise concerns about the potential impact on performance if a system requires a high amount of energy.
mfig
Hello,

I would like to design a spark ignition system with a wider range of energy delivery than a typical MSD system. On the MSD systems I have looked at, they are limited to about a 10 mJ range, but I need to go from, say 5 mJ to 1 J if possible. Does anyone know of a packaged system like that or how to modify an MSD system to deliver a wider range?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
here's an interesting project, a meter to measure spark energy.
If you're "hopping up" factory systems you'll need a way to quantify results.
http://worldphaco.net/uploads/THE_SPARK_ENERGY_TEST_MACHINE.pdf

1 joule per spark X how many sparks per second ?

How do you plan to power it ?
8 cylinders @ 8000 RPM X 1 joule/spark = 32000/60 joule/sec = 533 watts = 44 amps@12 volts

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked in the aftermarket automotive electronics industry I recall reading that the typical HEI ignition system that GM used for many years was about as much spark as anything typically needed. Any more energy beyond that showed no gain in performance. Now this is of course up for debate and I am just repeating what I have heard. I will say that how 'performance' is defined is also up for debate. I have an MSD system on a car and I suspect that the multiple discharges improves starting and in my opinion this is an improvement in performance. I didn't do the math that Jim Hardy did but if you draw 44 amps from your electrical system do you think maybe the power it takes to supply this spark will load the alternator to the point that you are in fact losing performance?

What is an ignition system?

An ignition system is a crucial part of a vehicle's engine that is responsible for starting the engine and keeping it running. It generates the high voltage needed to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the engine's combustion chamber.

What are the components of an ignition system?

The main components of an ignition system include the battery, ignition coil, distributor, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. These components work together to produce and deliver the high voltage to the spark plugs, which then ignite the fuel-air mixture in the engine.

What are the signs of a faulty ignition system?

Some common signs of a faulty ignition system include difficulty starting the engine, engine misfires, decreased fuel efficiency, and a check engine light. If you experience any of these issues, it is best to have your ignition system checked by a mechanic.

How often should an ignition system be replaced?

The lifespan of an ignition system can vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle, as well as the driving habits of the owner. However, on average, an ignition system should be replaced every 50,000-100,000 miles. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle.

Can I replace the ignition system myself?

Replacing an ignition system can be a complex task and requires a good understanding of the vehicle's engine. It is recommended to have a professional mechanic handle the replacement to ensure it is done correctly and safely.