How can I adjust the roll off of my preamp design for better frequency response?

In summary, the conversation is about developing a low noise preamp and changing the roll off of the design to decrease the gain for very low frequencies. The desired results are shown in a bode plot and the speaker is hoping to achieve this with a modification to the original circuit. They also discuss using a two pole highpass filter and potentially adding a third order system for better results, with a potential trade off. The output impedance is also mentioned as a factor in achieving these results.
Roy Fokker
Hello I am developing a low noise preamp and would like to change the roll off of my design to sharply decrease the gain for very low frequencies "1-5Hz". The results of my current design are as follows.
upload_2016-6-19_20-1-43.png

upload_2016-6-19_20-2-12.png

I would need something that looked more like this..
upload_2016-6-19_20-6-47.png

I understand the simple equations of changing the corner frequency and gain but I am unsure how to change the roll off. I recall I may have covered some of this in control systems but that was quite some time ago.

Ideally id like to replicate the results in the above bode plot and have good response (40db) for higher frequencies.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a two pole highpass filter ckt you may be able to use or modify. Note that the component values are for 100Hz corner frequency. For 14Hz corner freq. (1/7 freq.) multiply cap values by 7, for 10Hz (1/10 freq.) multiply cap values by 10.
AN-31-25.jpg

Thanks for the response I was looking into it today, ill need a 3rd order system to achieve the desired results... There is always a trade off though. Ill report back when I have some more information. I am hoping I can achieve this with a modification to the original circuit.

If you know what output impedance it will drive, you can get a additional pole by adjusting the value of C2.

1. What is an op amp frequency response?

An op amp frequency response is the measure of how the output voltage of an operational amplifier (op amp) changes in relation to the input frequency. It is an important characteristic that determines the amplifier's ability to amplify signals accurately at different frequencies.

2. How is the frequency response of an op amp measured?

The frequency response of an op amp is typically measured using a frequency sweep test, where the input frequency is varied and the corresponding output voltage is recorded. This data is then plotted on a graph to show the op amp's response across a range of frequencies.

3. What is the bandwidth of an op amp?

The bandwidth of an op amp refers to the range of frequencies over which the op amp can accurately amplify a signal. It is typically defined as the frequency at which the gain of the op amp drops by 3 dB (half its original value) from its maximum value.

4. How does feedback affect the frequency response of an op amp?

Feedback can affect the frequency response of an op amp by changing the gain and stability of the amplifier. Negative feedback can improve the frequency response by reducing distortion and increasing the bandwidth, while positive feedback can cause instability and decrease the bandwidth.

5. What are some common factors that can affect the frequency response of an op amp?

Some common factors that can affect the frequency response of an op amp include the internal circuitry and design of the op amp, external components such as capacitors and resistors, and the power supply voltage. Temperature and aging can also have an impact on the frequency response of an op amp.