How can I determine the curve and tension in a hammock with damaged cords?

• Thread starter ShaddollDa9u
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation focuses on the placement and tension of a hammock with damaged cords. It is determined that the hammock should be placed horizontally to evenly distribute the tension between the knots. The tension at each point is calculated using the equations T1 = (m / 2λ) sin (α) and T2 = (m / 2λ) sin(β). However, it is noted that this solution may be incorrect and further assistance is requested.
ShaddollDa9u

Homework Statement

You want to rest on a hammock where the cords are damaged.
a) If you don't want to the cords to break during your nap, do you have to place the hammock at the horizontal or, on the contrary, put the knot of the first rope higher than the other ?

b) What is the curve made by the hammock and the expression of the tension in every point ? We will define the hammock as a wire of linear density λ.

Homework Equations

I couldn't find the curve made by the hammock and the tension in every point, how can I express them ?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a) It should be at the horizontal so that the tension between the two knots of the hammock have the same value. Making a knot higher than the other will increase the tension of that knot, which could break.

b) I have assumed that the system is in equilibrium, so ΣF = 0.

So P - (T1 + T2) = 0, where P is the Weight of the object on the hammock, and T1 and T2 the tension of each knot.

So T1 = (m / 2λ) sin (α) where α is the angle between the first knot and the floor.
T2 = (m / 2λ) sin(β) where β is the angle between the second knot and the floor.

Since P = m1g*, (m1 the mass of the object on the hammock ), we have:

m1*g - (m/2λ) (sin(α) + sin(β)) = 0.

But it looks messed up and I think it's wrong, also, I don't know how to get the tension on each point. Could you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What causes the curve in a hammock?

The curve in a hammock is caused by the weight of the person lying in it. When someone lies in a hammock, their weight pulls down on the fabric, creating a concave curve.

2. Why do hammocks have a curved shape?

Hammocks are designed with a curve to provide a more comfortable and supportive sleeping surface. The curve allows the fabric to contour to the shape of the person's body, reducing pressure points and providing better support.

3. Can a hammock be adjusted to change the curve?

Yes, the curve of a hammock can be adjusted by changing the tension and angle of the ropes or straps. This can be done by moving the attachment points or adjusting the length of the ropes or straps.

4. Is the curve in a hammock important for its functionality?

Yes, the curve in a hammock is important for its functionality. It provides a stable and supportive sleeping surface, allowing for a more comfortable and restful experience. Without the curve, the fabric would be taut and uncomfortable to lie on.

5. How does the curve in a hammock affect its weight capacity?

The curve in a hammock does not significantly affect its weight capacity. The weight capacity is determined by the strength and durability of the fabric and the strength of the attachment points. However, a hammock with a deeper curve may feel less stable for heavier individuals.