How can I differentiate between monsoon rains and cyclonic rain?

In summary: This is called the Westerlies. In summary, the wind direction changes as a cyclone approaches, and the barometric pressure should be fairly stable during the monsoon.
Hall
In my country, we get yearly rainfall from South-West Monsoon. But from time to time, there is something called cylonic (or western) disturbances which bring rain in my country. I have myself observed that though disturbances are cylconic, yet we (at my particular location and about 50km radius) get just rain, no high speed winds.

I want to ask, how can I know, if it is raining today, whether the rain is from monsoon winds or from cyclonic disturbances?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It will depend on where you are. Take a look at the bigger picture by going to ...
https://earth.nullschool.net/#curre...a/winkel3=-276.82,13.17,618/loc=98.520,10.458
Click "Earth" to access the different parameters available. Find those that differentiate the circulation of a cyclone from the monsoon pattern. For example, the pressure altitude that best identifies the cyclones. After watching for a year, you should have found a reliable method. Let us know how you get on.

Likes Hall and Tom.G
From a local weather station, the wind direction should change as a cyclone passes by. Monsoon winds, should tend to blow from the same direction hour after hour.

Likes Astronuc and Bystander
There should be a drop in the barometer as a cyclone approaches, followed by a rise as the cyclone moves away. The barometric pressure should be fairly stable during the monsoon.

Likes Astronuc and anorlunda
A rain by any other name would feel as wet.

Likes Baluncore
Vanadium 50 said:
A rain by any other name would feel as wet.
“He makes his sun rise on people whether they are good or evil. He let's rain fall on them whether they are just or unjust.” ― Matthew 5:45

“The rain it raineth on the just. And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because. The unjust hath the just's umbrella.” ― Charles Bowen.

Likes BillTre
Hall said:
6 km (850 hpa),
850 hpa is not at an altitude of 6 km. air pressure is about 1000hpa at 0m, and about 850 hpa at 1.5 km.

Likes Hall
I met a fatal failure.

Baluncore said:
It will depend on where you are. Take a look at the bigger picture by going to ...
https://earth.nullschool.net/#curre...a/winkel3=-276.82,13.17,618/loc=98.520,10.458
Click "Earth" to access the different parameters available. Find those that differentiate the circulation of a cyclone from the monsoon pattern. For example, the pressure altitude that best identifies the cyclones. After watching for a year, you should have found a reliable method. Let us know how you get on.
At 1000 hpa, that is approx. 364 feet of height, the prevalent wind is south-west wind coming from the ocean. I think, as these winds carry moisture with them they might cause rain if they are lifted up.

@Hall
To convert between altitude in feet, and pressure in hPa .
Po = 1000 ' pressure at sea level now, in hPa
P_alt = Po * ( 1 - 6.87535e-6 * alt_ft )^5.2561 hPa
Alt_ft = ( Exp( ( Log( P_alt / Po )) / 5.2558797 ) - 1 ) / -6.8755856e-6 feet

Here is a pressure height equivalence table.
10 hPa = 85,000 feet
70 hPa = 58,000 feet
250 hPa = 34,000 feet
500 hPa = 18,000 feet
700 hPa = 9,500 feet
850 hPa = 4,425 feet
1000 hPa = surface.

Look at the Wind at 250 hPa, up where aircraft fly on international routes. That is where the jet streams are best developed. Drop the marker to measure the wind speed. Notice there is always a jet stream over southern Japan, because the Himalayas obstruct the flow upstream.

Notice that you can select: Control; Choose Date; then go back to look at a data from years ago, but not very far into the future.

Likes Hall
Hall said:
I think, as these winds carry moisture with them they might cause rain if they are lifted up.
Winds that blow away from the equator are also cooling gradually, so they tend to have clouds and drop moisture whenever they rise over a hill or range.

Likes Hall

1. What is the difference between monsoon rains and cyclonic rain?

Monsoon rains are seasonal winds that bring heavy precipitation to a region for an extended period of time, usually several months. Cyclonic rain, on the other hand, is caused by a low-pressure system called a cyclone, which brings intense rainfall for a shorter duration of time.

2. How can I tell if the rain is caused by a monsoon or a cyclone?

One way to differentiate between monsoon and cyclonic rain is by looking at the duration of the rainfall. Monsoon rains usually last for several months, while cyclonic rain is more short-lived, lasting only a few days. Additionally, monsoon rains tend to be more widespread, covering a larger geographical area, while cyclonic rain is more localized.

3. Are there any visual cues to distinguish between monsoon and cyclonic rain?

Yes, there are some visual cues that can help differentiate between monsoon and cyclonic rain. Monsoon rains often have a consistent pattern and are accompanied by strong winds, while cyclonic rain may be more erratic and accompanied by thunderstorms and lightning. Additionally, cyclonic rain may also have a distinct circular pattern on weather maps.

4. Can monsoon and cyclonic rain occur at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for monsoon and cyclonic rain to occur simultaneously. In fact, monsoon rains can sometimes be influenced by cyclones, as the strong winds from the cyclone can enhance the monsoon winds and bring even heavier rainfall to the region.

5. How do monsoon and cyclonic rain impact the environment differently?

The impact of monsoon and cyclonic rain on the environment can vary. Monsoon rains can bring much-needed water to dry regions, replenishing water sources and supporting agriculture. However, if the rains are too heavy, they can also cause flooding and landslides. Cyclonic rain, on the other hand, can be more destructive, causing strong winds, heavy rainfall, and storm surges that can damage infrastructure and disrupt daily life.