How can I display Greek letters in legends using Octave plot?

In summary: I don't think that octave needs to be compiled from source. If you have the pre-built binaries, you can probably just install them.
Angelos K

Homework Statement

Hi!

I'm sorry if this is misplaced, but I didn't know where else to post it. In my thesis I need greek letters to appear in a legend for a figure generated with octave. Now I normally know how to do that. F.e. if I say:

legend('\alpha','\kappa')

everythging works brilliantly, but I need

legend('\gamma','\kappa')

and it keeps showing "\Symbol g" exept of a \gamma. I was hoping that someone might help, before this costs me another couple of hours.

Thanks,
Angelos

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never used octave for plotting, have you tried remapping your keyboard to display Greek characters? It is the obvious thing to try and allows you to intersperse ελληνικά καί αγγλικά (greek with english) with the click of a mouse (Mac) or HotKey (win). It works with most applications.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if I'm getting what you are suggesting, but I think your idea was to switch to a greek keyboard and simply type a gamma from there. In that case I would have a gamma in the text editor indeed, but not in the plot.

This is just a guess, but have you tried double-quoted strings?

You mean "" instead of ''?

Angelos K said:
You mean "" instead of ''?

"foo" instead of 'foo'.

Yes, it doesn't work. But thank you!

That seems contrary to the documentation, but maybe I am misunderstanding it.

I tried
legend('\gamma');
and it gave me a [tex]\gamma[/tex]. Perhaps you need a newer version?

tms said:
I tried
legend('\gamma');
and it gave me a [tex]\gamma[/tex]. Perhaps you need a newer version?

Sounds good! My version says:
GNU Octave, version 3.0.0
Copyright (C) 2007 John W. Eaton and others.

Do you have a newer one? My Ubuntu repository does not list a newer one, but if we not that that is the problem I might find a way around that

I have the Windows pre-built binary, version 3.0.5, configured for "i686-pc-mingw32". My FreeBSD and Solaris boxes are so old they won't compile it.

tms said:
I have the Windows pre-built binary, version 3.0.5, configured for "i686-pc-mingw32". My FreeBSD and Solaris boxes are so old they won't compile it.

Thanks a lot. It's probably the older version that causes the problem. I can't find a newer one in the repositories of my Ubuntu distribution, but I hope I can build it from source.

1. What is an Octave plot in Greek legends?

An Octave plot in Greek legends is a literary device commonly used in epic poetry. It refers to a structure where the story is divided into eight distinct parts or chapters, with each part having a specific purpose and contributing to the overall narrative.

2. What is the significance of an Octave plot in Greek legends?

The use of an Octave plot in Greek legends allows for a more structured and organized storytelling technique. It also helps to create a more complex and rich narrative, as each part contributes to the overall meaning and themes of the story.

3. How does the Octave plot relate to Greek mythology?

The use of an Octave plot in Greek legends is closely tied to the traditional oral storytelling techniques of ancient Greek culture. Many famous Greek myths and legends, such as the Odyssey and the Iliad, follow this structure, highlighting its importance in Greek literature.

4. Can the Octave plot be found in other cultures and literature?

Yes, the Octave plot is a commonly used literary device in many cultures and can be found in various forms of literature, including epic poems, novels, and even modern films. It is a versatile and effective way to structure a story.

5. How does the Octave plot impact the overall reading experience?

The Octave plot can enhance the reader's experience by providing a clear and organized structure to the story. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the themes and messages conveyed by the author, as each part contributes to the overall meaning of the story.