How can I plot equipotentials from this series?....

• Thread starter Daniel Sellers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot Series
In summary: However, the plot of the series does not look like an equipotentials plot. It looks more like a power plot.
Daniel Sellers

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the attached picture, but I already have a solution to part a) which I am confident in (I have checked it carefully, compared to other students and confirmed it with my graduate-TA).

Part b) asks us to plot the equipotentials but I cannot figure out how. I cannot get this infinite series into a form which I can use to plot. I have tried several online calculators, I have tried separating the series into two different series and re-writing it a number of different ways but I cannot get it into a usable form.

Homework Equations

V(r,Θ) = Σ (2V0/a)[(1-(-1)^n)/cosh(n*pi)]cosh(n*pi*y/a)sin(n*pi*x/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

See above. I think I can answer part c) and I have an answer to part d) I just need a form of this solution which can be used to plot equipotentials in the x-y plane.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 4.26.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 4.26.55 PM.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Sellers said:
V(r,Θ) = Σ (2V0/a)[(1-(-1)^n)/cosh(n*pi)]cosh(n*pi*y/a)sin(n*pi*x/a)
As near as I can tell, you mean to say that your result is
##V(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {2V_0 [1-(-1)^n] \cosh(n\pi \frac y a) \sin(n\pi \frac x a)} {a \cosh n\pi}##

I don't see how this could give you ##V = V_0## at ##y = a##. At ##y= a## your solution would look something like
##V(x,a) = \frac {4V_0} a ( \sin(\pi \frac x a)+ \sin(3\pi \frac x a)+ \sin(5 \pi \frac x a) + \dots)##

but what you need is a square wave. You are almost there, but it is not quite right.

Daniel Sellers said:

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the attached picture, but I already have a solution to part a) which I am confident in (I have checked it carefully, compared to other students and confirmed it with my graduate-TA).
Your answer to (a) looks wrong just from looking at the units. Your expression has units of volts/meter, but it should just be volts.

As far as plotting the equipotentials go, you might simply be expected to use software that can do that for you.

Thanks to both of you who replied. You are both correct. There is no 'a' in the denominator, my mistake. I plotted 1000 terms of the (correct) series in Mathematica in order to read off the equipotentials.

The series does converge to a constant at y = a.

1. What are equipotentials?

Equipotentials are hypothetical lines or surfaces that connect points of equal potential in a particular field. In other words, they represent the points in a field where the potential is the same.

2. How can I plot equipotentials from a series of data?

To plot equipotentials from a series of data, you will need to create a graph with the potential on the y-axis and the distance or position on the x-axis. Then, connect points with the same potential to create a smooth curve. You can also use software such as MATLAB or Python to plot equipotentials from a series of data.

3. What are some common methods for plotting equipotentials?

The most common methods for plotting equipotentials include using equipotential mapping software, creating a graph with the potential and distance/position, and using mathematical equations to calculate and plot the equipotentials.

4. How do I interpret equipotential maps?

Equipotential maps show the distribution of potential in a particular field. The closer the equipotential lines are to each other, the steeper the potential gradient is in that area. The direction of the lines also indicates the direction of the electric field in that region.

5. Can equipotential lines intersect?

No, equipotential lines cannot intersect. This is because equipotentials represent points of equal potential, and if they were to intersect, it would mean that those points have different potentials, which is not possible in a single field.