How can I do Astronomy from home?

In summary, an amateur astronomer can contribute to the field of Astronomy by doing things like looking for comets, NEO's, and newborn supernovas, tracking the brightness of variable stars, and filtering data from massive databases. There are also many citizen science opportunities available.
Phys12
I just graduated high school and have quite a bit of free time. Since a lot of Astronomy today is done via computers, I was wondering if I can analyze data and contribute to the field of Astronomy by sitting at home, somehow, if possible. I've searched around and gotten sites like this: http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/webclient/, but not super sure how this will lead to my contributing something to Astronomy.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The are plenty of citizen science opportunities for an amateur, home astronomer. You can comb the skies for comets, NEO's, and newborn supernova, track the brightness of innumerable variable stars. There are even outreach programs that recruit interested amateurs to filter data from massive databases - like SETI at home does. There is a lot of sky up there and not enough professional grade observatory [or computer] time to keep track of all of it.

Here are a few more links to check out:
  • CosmoQuest - Map the surfaces of rocky worlds and explore the atmospheres of planets and small bodies throughout the solar system.
  • Zooniverse: Astronomy - Several astronomy projects, including Comet Hunters, Planet Hunters, Sun Spotter, and Galaxy Zoo. Zooniverse members have been responsible for identifying several transiting exoplanets, and a whole new class of galaxy (Pea Galaxy), for which they are given full credit for their discoveries.
  • Slooh Telescope - Similar to World Wide Telescope, Slooh is a robotic telescope at the Canary Islands Observatory that you can control, take photos and share them. They also have live feeds of special astronomical events.

Last edited:
Likes Phys12
Thank you much everyone for all the links, truly appreciate it. If you have more links, please feel free to share, you all just made my month! :)

1. How can I observe the night sky from home?

One way to observe the night sky from home is by using a telescope. You can purchase a telescope or rent one from a local observatory. You can also use binoculars to view the night sky. Additionally, you can use a star chart or a mobile app to help you locate and identify celestial objects.

2. Can I do Astronomy without any equipment?

Yes, you can still do Astronomy from home without any equipment. You can observe the night sky with your naked eye and learn about the constellations, planets, and other celestial objects. You can also attend virtual lectures or join online communities to learn more about Astronomy.

3. How can I contribute to Astronomy research from home?

There are several ways to contribute to Astronomy research from home. You can participate in citizen science projects, such as recording observations of specific celestial events or classifying images of galaxies. You can also analyze data from space missions or assist in data processing.

4. What are some resources for learning about Astronomy from home?

There are many online resources for learning about Astronomy from home. You can watch documentaries or lectures on streaming platforms or YouTube. You can also find online courses, webinars, and virtual workshops offered by universities, observatories, and organizations. Additionally, there are numerous educational websites, apps, and podcasts dedicated to Astronomy.

5. How can I involve my children in Astronomy activities at home?

There are plenty of fun and educational Astronomy activities that you can do with your children at home. You can stargaze together, build a model of the solar system, or create constellations using flashlights. You can also play educational games, make crafts, or conduct simple experiments to learn about space and the universe. Additionally, there are many online resources specifically designed for children to learn about Astronomy.