How can I ensure continuity for a piecewise function with a radical term?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to make a piecewise function continuous over the entire real numbers by choosing suitable values for constants a and b. The issue lies in the function x^{1/3} not being continuous for negative values, but this can be solved by using \sqrt[3]{x} instead. The criteria for a function to be continuous at a point c is that the limit from the left must equal the limit from the right, which must also equal the value at c. The person thanks the expert for clarifying and wishes them a nice day.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
If I want to decide constant a and b so its continuous over the whole R for this piecewise function
102oyec.png

basicly what I got problem with is that \(\displaystyle x^{1/3}\) is not continuous for negative value so it will never be continuous for any value on constant a,b. I am missing something? or do they mean \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{8}\) and not \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{8}\)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
If I want to decide constant a and b so its continuous over the whole R for this piecewise function
102oyec.png

basicly what I got problem with is that \(\displaystyle x^{1/3}\) is not continuous for negative value so it will never be continuous for any value on constant a,b. I am missing something? or do they mean \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{8}\) and not \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{8}\)

Regards,
In fact
[tex] \sqrt[3]{x} [/tex] is defined for all real numbers but the problem is in
[tex] \sqrt[n]{x} [/tex] with n even number
for a function to be continuous at a point c
[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow c^- } f(x) = \lim_{x\rightarrow c^+ } f(x) = f(c) [/tex]

Amer said:
In fact
[tex] \sqrt[3]{x} [/tex] is defined for all real numbers but the problem is in
[tex] \sqrt[n]{x} [/tex] with n even number
for a function to be continuous at a point c
[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow c^- } f(x) = \lim_{x\rightarrow c^+ } f(x) = f(c) [/tex]
Thanks for the fast respond you are totally correct! I confused myself! Have a nice day!

Regards,

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by multiple sub-functions, with each sub-function applying to a specific interval or domain. This allows the function to have different rules for different parts of its domain.

2. How do you graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, first plot each sub-function separately on the graph, making sure to include the specified interval for each sub-function. Then, connect the points on the graph to create a continuous line.

3. What is the difference between a continuous and discontinuous piecewise function?

A continuous piecewise function is one that has a continuous graph with no breaks or gaps, while a discontinuous piecewise function has one or more gaps or jumps in the graph. This is due to the different rules for different parts of the domain in a piecewise function.

4. How do you determine the continuity of a piecewise function?

To determine the continuity of a piecewise function, you need to check if the individual sub-functions are continuous at their respective intervals and if they match up at the points where the intervals meet. If the sub-functions are continuous and match up, then the piecewise function as a whole is continuous.

5. Can a piecewise function be differentiable?

Yes, a piecewise function can be differentiable if all the individual sub-functions are differentiable at their respective intervals and they match up at the points where the intervals meet. However, if there is a discontinuity at any point, the piecewise function will not be differentiable at that point.