How Can I Find Displacement With Only Velocity and Angle

In summary: At 30 m/s, a rock thrown 55° above the horizon will travel a distance of 9.8 m before hitting the ground.
noname2020x
1. (Ignore air resistance)
A rock is thrown 55% above the horizon at 30m/s. What is the horizontal displacement of the rock when it hits the ground?
2. Can only use vf^2=vi^2+2ad and sohcahtoa3. Would it work to first draw a vector triangle and find the vertical velocity vector only.
Then use vf^2=vi^2+2ad to find the displacement of the rock (vertically) by using vf=0 and vi as the vertical velocity calculated and -9.8 as acceleration.
Then calculate horizontal displacement and multiply by 2?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
noname2020x said:
1. (Ignore air resistance)
A rock is thrown 55% above the horizon at 30m/s. What is the horizontal displacement of the rock when it hits the ground?
2. Can only use vf^2=vi^2+2ad and sohcahtoa3. Would it work to first draw a vector triangle and find the vertical velocity vector only.
Then use vf^2=vi^2+2ad to find the displacement of the rock (vertically) by using vf=0 and vi as the vertical velocity calculated and -9.8 as acceleration.
Then calculate horizontal displacement and multiply by 2?

Thanks!

This question, as you have correctly deduced is essentially one of "hang time".

For how long is the rock in the air, allowing it to travel horizontally?

Cool.So I'm going about solving it the right way?

Also, in the beginning I didn't mean % I meant degrees haha.

noname2020x said:
Cool.So I'm going about solving it the right way?

Also, in the beginning I didn't mean % I meant degrees haha.

From what you have said, I think you're on the right tracks. Post your working if you wish me to take a look.

Here is the basic outline.

Attachments

• 20150913_135924.jpg
    20150913_135924.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 664
noname2020x said:
Here is the basic outline.
In projectile motion, the initial launch angle does not remain constant, because the projectile's vertical velocity is being reduced by the effect of gravity.

What you want to do is find out how long it takes after launch for the projectile to stop rising vertically, and begin to fall back to earth.

SteamKing said:
In projectile motion, the initial launch angle does not remain constant, because the projectile's vertical velocity is being reduced by the effect of gravity.

What you want to do is find out how long it takes after launch for the projectile to stop rising vertically, and begin to fall back to earth.

That is what the vf^2=vi^2+2ad is for. I am isolating the vertical velocity vector to find vertical displacement.

noname2020x said:
That is what the vf^2=vi^2+2ad is for. I am isolating the vertical velocity vector to find vertical displacement.
You don't really need to calculate the vertical displacement, since you are really interested in calculating the horizontal displacement.

Finding the time the projectile remains aloft will allow you to calculate what the horizontal displacement is, however.

How might that be accomplished?

Wouldn't this method still work?

noname2020x said:
How might that be accomplished?
Just think about what knowing the total time aloft means for figuring the horizontal travel distance of a projectile. If you know the total time aloft and the horizontal velocity of the projectile, then finding the distance traveled is a simple multiplication (assuming no resistance from the atmosphere).
Wouldn't this method still work?
It probably would, but you must do a lot of pointless calculations to reach the final result. It's like traveling sideways when you really should push straight ahead to reach your goal.

There are many example projectile calculations which you can find to study on the web (and on this site).

If I do it with time the distance in the x-direction is twice as long (and actually accurate according to simulations)

Why isn't it working with my original calculations?

noname2020x said:
If I do it with time the distance in the x-direction is twice as long (and actually accurate according to simulations)

Why isn't it working with my original calculations?
I don't know. I asked you to post your calculations, but I don't think I ever got to see your work.

One image you did post showed an initial velocity of 20, but a complete set of calculations was lacking.

This problem calls for the rock to be thrown with a velocity of 30 m/s at an angle of 55° above the horizon.

1. What is displacement and how is it related to velocity and angle?

Displacement is the distance an object has moved from its original position. It is related to velocity and angle through the formula: displacement = velocity * time * cos(angle). This means that displacement is affected by the magnitude of velocity and the angle at which the object is moving.

2. Can displacement be calculated if only velocity and angle are known?

Yes, displacement can be calculated if only velocity and angle are known, as long as the time is also given. This is because the formula for displacement involves all three variables.

3. What is the unit of measurement for displacement?

The unit of measurement for displacement depends on the unit of measurement used for velocity and time. For example, if velocity is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds, then the unit of measurement for displacement would be meters.

4. How can I find displacement if I don't know the angle?

If the angle is unknown, then displacement cannot be accurately calculated using only velocity. However, if the initial and final positions of the object are known, displacement can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the horizontal and vertical components of displacement and then using the theorem to calculate the overall displacement.

5. Is displacement affected by the direction of motion?

Yes, displacement is affected by the direction of motion. This is because the angle in the displacement formula takes into account the direction of motion. A change in direction will result in a change in the angle and therefore a change in displacement.