Solving Vector Diagrams: Finding Displacements & Velocities

In summary, the vector diagram suggests that the stone will hit the ground at 10.2 seconds after being thrown.
g9WfI
Homework Statement
A stone is thrown horizontally at 15 m/s from the top of a vertical cliff, 50 m above the sea. Calculate the distance from the bottom of the cliff to the place where the stone hits the water. g = 9.8 m/s^2
Relevant Equations
trig, suvat
Here is my attempt at the vector diagram:
IMG_6C9734C444CE-1.jpeg

Could anyone give me any clues as to where to go from here? Is this diagram correct?
I tried finding θ using inverse tan 50/15 but I don't think I can do that because that's mixing up velocity and displacement.

EDIT: I copied and pasted the incorrect mark scheme here.
Correct mark scheme:
For the fall, s = 50 m, u = 0, v = ?, a = 9.8 m s–2 , t = ?
s = ut + ½at2 ⇒ 50 m = 0 + 4.9 m s-2 × t 2 ⇒ t 2 = 50 m ÷ 4.9 m s–2 = 10.2 s2
t = √(10.2 s2 ) = 3.19 s
horizontally, s = ut = 15 m s–1 × 3.19 s = 48 m (2 s.f.)

How do I find the corresponding displacements/velocities of the vectors with only this information?
I don't know if I'm making much sense, but I don't understand how to get the displacement from velocity;
I know s = vt but I'm not really getting anywhere with my working.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why you are attempting a vector diagram here. This is a projectile motion problem. One "secret" is to treat horizontal and vertical motions separately. First consider the vertical motion, since you have all the info you need to figure out the time it takes for the stone to hit the ground.

Likes g9WfI
This is a projectile motion problem. Split the problem into the horizontal (x) and vertical (y) directions. Analyze the projectiles motion in each direction independently using the kinematic equations.

That diagram does not seem helpful.
You have already given the solution for the problem.

Velocity in the horizontal direction is constant.
Acceleration in the vertical direction is constant.
Time can be found by solving for time from the equation for vertical displacement, which you have given.
This can be used in the equation for horizontal distance to compute horizontal distance.

You can't mix vectors of different physical dimensionality like that. It doesn’t mean anything to add a velocity and a displacement.

Likes Delta2
Yes you are right that it is wrong to mix distance and velocity in ##\tan\theta=\frac{50}{15}##, instead you should say that ##\tan\theta=\frac{50}{48}## as i think you calculated correctly the horizontal distance to be 48m.

If you want a vector diagram for velocity the main problem is that the vector of velocity keeps changing in magnitude and direction for this problem. However in cartesian coordinate system the vector of velocity formula is $$\vec{v}(t)=v_x\hat x+v_y\hat y=15\hat x+9.8t\hat y$$ as the x-component of velocity is constant and equal to 15 but the y-component of velocity keeps changing as time passes and it is ##v_y=gt=9.8t## where t the time elapsed.

Likes g9WfI

1. How do I find the displacement of an object using vector diagrams?

To find the displacement of an object using vector diagrams, you need to first draw a scale diagram representing the object's initial and final positions. Then, measure the length and direction of the displacement vector on the diagram and use trigonometry to calculate the magnitude and direction of the displacement in real life.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance in vector diagrams?

Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between an object's initial and final positions, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by the object. In vector diagrams, displacement is represented by a single arrow, while distance is represented by a series of arrows that show the object's movement along a curved path.

3. How do I calculate the velocity of an object using vector diagrams?

To calculate the velocity of an object using vector diagrams, you need to first find the displacement vector and the time it took for the object to travel that distance. Then, divide the displacement vector by the time to find the average velocity. You can also calculate the instantaneous velocity by finding the slope of the displacement vector at a specific point on the diagram.

4. What is the importance of vector diagrams in solving physics problems?

Vector diagrams are essential in solving physics problems because they allow us to visually represent the different forces acting on an object and their directions. This makes it easier to understand and analyze the motion of the object and calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

5. Can vector diagrams be used to solve problems in other fields besides physics?

Yes, vector diagrams can be used to solve problems in other fields such as engineering, navigation, and even computer graphics. They are a powerful tool for representing and analyzing the magnitude and direction of various quantities and can be applied to a wide range of problem-solving scenarios.