How Can I Find the Integral of Arcsec(x)dx Using IBP?

In summary: You can also use trigonometric substitution or partial fractions, but these methods are more complicated and time consuming compared to IBP.
pmg991818
Can someone help me with finding the integral of arcsec (x) dx?

Thanks

Prakash

Physics news on Phys.org
pmg991818 said:
Can someone help me with finding the integral of arcsec (x) dx?

Thanks

Prakash

Welcome on MHB pmg991818!...

... integrating by parts You obtain...

$\displaystyle \int \sec^{-1} x\ dx = x\ \sec^{-1} x - \int \frac {d x}{\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} = x\ \sec^{-1} x - \ln (\sqrt{x^{2}-1} + x) + c$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Welcome on MHB pmg991818!...

... integrating by parts You obtain...

$\displaystyle \int \sec^{-1} x\ dx = x\ \sec^{-1} x - \int \frac {d x}{\sqrt{x^{2}-1}} = x\ \sec^{-1} x - \ln (\sqrt{x^{2}-1} + x) + c$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks chisigma

I will try and work it out. If you able to show it by steps would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

pmg991818 said:
Thanks chisigma

I will try and work it out. If you able to show it by steps would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

The essential point is that...

$\displaystyle \frac{d}{d x} \cosh^{-1} x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^{2}-1}}\ (1)$

... and that for x>1 is...

$\displaystyle \cosh^{-1} x = \ln (\sqrt{x^{2} - 1} + x)\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I used a substitution and IBP:

\(\displaystyle \int\sec^{-1}x\,dx\Leftrightarrow\sec u=x\Rightarrow u\sec u-\int\sec u\,du=u\sec u-\ln\left|\sec u+\tan u\right|+C\)

\(\displaystyle \int\sec^{-1}x\,dx=x\sec^{-1}x-\ln\left|x+\sqrt{x^2-1}\right|+C\)

greg1313 said:

\(\displaystyle \int\sec^{-1}x\,dx\Leftrightarrow\sec u=x\Rightarrow u\sec u-\int\sec u\,du=u\sec u-\ln\left|\sec u+\tan u\right|+C\)

\(\displaystyle \int\sec^{-1}x\,dx=x\sec^{-1}x-\ln\left|x+\sqrt{x^2-1}\right|+C\)

Thanks Rido.

greg1313 said:

Thanks Greg 1313

pmg991818 said:
Thanks Greg 1313

Greg,

I understand that you used IBP - arcsecx as u and dv =dx to get x. Then you have substituted for x sec u so, you get

uv = u sec u - \int sec u du. I presume you used this substitution on the basis of the right-angled triangle where sec u is x/1 giving us sec u = x. After integrating and getting ln absolute sec u + tan u, you have applied the trig substitution to get x = sec u and for tan you have applied \sqrt{x^2 -1} to get xarcsec{x} - ln|x +sqrt{x^2-1}| +C.

A bit easier to evaluate the indefinite integral than doing the whole thing by IBP.

Thank you.

Prakash

Then how do you evaluate

\(\displaystyle \int u\sec u\tan u\,du\)

without using IBP?

greg1313 said:
Then how do you evaluate

without using IBP?

Not quite sure how the substitution part comes together. Greg, please clarify.

\(\displaystyle \int\sec^{-1}x\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle \sec u=x,\quad\sec u\tan u\,du=dx\)

So we have

I think IBP is the most straightforward method to evaluate this integral.

1. What is the definition of the antiderivative of arcsec?

The antiderivative of arcsec is a function that, when differentiated, gives the arcsec function. In other words, it is the inverse of the derivative of the arcsec function.

2. How is the antiderivative of arcsec different from the antiderivative of sec?

The antiderivative of arcsec is the inverse of the derivative of the arcsec function, while the antiderivative of sec is the inverse of the derivative of the sec function. This means that while their derivatives are related, the two antiderivatives are not the same.

3. What is the general form of the antiderivative of arcsec?

The general form of the antiderivative of arcsec is ∫(1/(x√(x²-1)))dx. This is derived from the formula for the arcsec function, which is arcsec(x)=sec⁻¹(x)=cos⁻¹(1/x).

4. How is the antiderivative of arcsec used in calculus?

The antiderivative of arcsec is used in calculus to solve integrals that involve the arcsec function. It is also used in finding the area under the curve of functions that contain the arcsec function.

5. Are there any special techniques for finding the antiderivative of arcsec?

Yes, there are some special techniques that can be used to find the antiderivative of arcsec, such as substitution or integration by parts. These techniques can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.