How can I get the wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining the wave function at time t=0 in quantum mechanics and how it is fundamentally unknowable. The solution to this problem is to solve the time independent Schrödinger equation, but this is not always possible due to the need for the Fourier transform of the wave function.
eoghan
Hi! In every qm exercise I have the wave at time t=0 and I have to study its evolution in time. But experimentally, how can I get the wave function at time t=0? For example, if I am studying the motion of my car, how can I get its wave function?

Physics news on Phys.org
By solving the time independent Schrödinger equation.

kexue said:
By solving the time independent Schrödinger equation.

Please. The whole problem with quantum mechanics is that you can never get the wave function for t=0. It's fundamentally unknowable.

And so the problems like "given the wave function at time t=0..." aren't real?
How can I calculate the wave function associated with e.g. an electron?
Obviously I can't solve the Shrodinger equation, because to solve it I need the Fourier transform of the wave function in order to build the wave packet...

Related to How can I get the wave function

1. How can I measure the wave function of a particle?

To measure the wave function of a particle, you would need to perform a series of experiments, such as scattering or diffraction experiments, and then use mathematical formulas to analyze the results and calculate the wave function. It is not possible to directly measure the wave function of a particle.

2. Can the wave function be observed or visualized?

No, the wave function cannot be observed or visualized directly. It is an abstract mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the effects of the wave function can be observed through experiments and measurements.

3. How is the wave function related to the probability of finding a particle in a certain location?

The wave function describes the probability amplitude of a particle at a specific location in space. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the particle at that location.

4. Can the wave function change over time?

Yes, the wave function can change over time. This is known as wave function evolution and is described by the Schrödinger equation. It shows how the wave function of a particle changes depending on the potential energy of its surroundings.

5. What factors affect the shape of the wave function?

Several factors can affect the shape of the wave function, including the potential energy of the particle's surroundings, the particle's mass and momentum, and the presence of other particles. These factors determine the behavior and movement of the particle, which is described by the wave function.