How Can I Increase the Gauss Level of My Homemade Magnetic Pulser?

• Thread starter bryand2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the speaker has created a magnetic pulser using a camera flash and a copper wire air core inductor. They are unsure about the strength of the magnetic field produced and have tried using a gauss meter in a physics lab, but it only read about 120 gauss. The speaker needs to create a field between 20,000 and 40,000 gauss. They have also observed that the pulser can launch a key ring 5 feet into the air, but are not sure if this is significant. The speaker is seeking help in calculating the inductance and peak field of the pulser.
bryand2
I have designed a magnetic pulser using a camera flash and a copper wire air core inductor wired in series with the flash. when the flash is discharged, some of the energy in the capacitor is dumped through the coil creating a moving magnetic field. My problem is I am not sure how much gauss it is creating. I took it to school and used a gauss meter in the physics lab, it only read about 120 gauss, now i don't know what kind of gauss meter it was or wether it was set to the right setting. I need to create between 20,000 and 40,000 gauss. When i place a key ring in the middle of the coil and discharge the flash it launches the key ring about 5 feet into the air but I don't know if that's means anything, any help would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Measuring magnetic fields (especially transient ac fields) without the proper equipment) is difficult. You first need to use engineering formulas to calculate the inductance L of the air coil (see http://www.coilws.com/c_winding_main/Air%20Coil%20Inductors.pdf). Then, assuming the inductance L and the energy storage capacitor C form a relatively hi-Q (low series resistance) circuit, and all (most) of the energy stored in the capacitor flows into the inductance, use energy conservation to calculate the peak current in the coil:

(1/2) L I2 = (1/2) C V2, where L is in Henrys and C in Farads.

Finally, the peak field in the coil (long solenoid) is given by

B = 4 pi 10-7 NI where I is peak amps, N is turns per meter and B is in Tesla (1 Tesla = 10,000 Gauss).
I hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing your design for a magnetic pulser. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and effort into creating this device. I would recommend conducting further experimentation and testing to accurately measure the strength of the magnetic field being produced. This will help you determine whether or not your device is reaching the desired 20,000-40,000 gauss.

One suggestion would be to try using a more precise gauss meter and making sure it is set to the correct range for the strength of your magnetic field. You may also want to consider using a calibrated magnetometer, which is specifically designed for measuring magnetic fields.

Additionally, it would be helpful to vary the distance between the gauss meter and the coil to see how the magnetic field strength changes. This will allow you to create a more accurate picture of the strength of your magnetic pulsing device.

It is also important to keep in mind that the strength of the magnetic field can vary depending on the materials and size of the object being tested. For example, a small key ring may be launched farther than a larger object due to its lighter weight.

Overall, I would encourage you to continue experimenting and refining your design to accurately measure and achieve the desired strength of your magnetic field. Good luck with your project!

Related to How Can I Increase the Gauss Level of My Homemade Magnetic Pulser?

1. What is magnetic pulsing?

Magnetic pulsing is a technique that involves using a magnetic field to stimulate cells and tissues in the body. This can be done using a device that produces strong pulses of magnetic energy, which is believed to have therapeutic benefits.

2. How does magnetic pulsing work?

Magnetic pulsing works by creating a magnetic field that can penetrate the body's tissues and cells. This causes a series of electrical currents to flow through the body, which can stimulate cell activity and promote healing.

3. What are the benefits of magnetic pulsing?

Some potential benefits of magnetic pulsing include pain relief, improved circulation, and enhanced tissue repair. It may also have anti-inflammatory effects and can potentially improve overall health and well-being.

4. Is magnetic pulsing safe?

Magnetic pulsing is generally considered safe when used properly. However, it is important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and to consult with a healthcare professional before using it, especially if you have any medical conditions or are pregnant.

5. How often should I use magnetic pulsing?

The frequency of magnetic pulsing use depends on the individual and their specific needs. It is generally recommended to start with shorter sessions and gradually increase the duration and frequency as tolerated. It is important to listen to your body and consult with a healthcare professional for personalized guidance.