How Can I Keep a Light Circuit Powered Briefly After Cutting Power?

In summary, The individual is seeking assistance in adding a third light circuit to a project, with the desired outcome of this circuit remaining on briefly when power is cut. They believe that using a diode and capacitor will achieve this, but are unsure and seeking confirmation and a program to help calculate the necessary specs. A potential solution involves using a small signal diode and a combination of a ballast resistor and capacitor to create a time delay for the LED to remain on after power is cut. The individual is also seeking clarification on whether they need to add a resistor in line with the capacitor and if they need to boost input power to 5.7VDC if the flasher circuit needs 5VDC.
nafifics
Hi folks! First post here, I have a question regarding what should be a simple electric circuit and I hope you can help.

I want to add a light circuit to a project that has 2 other light circuits already. I want this 3rd light circuit to remain on very briefly (one or 2 seconds would be enough) when power is cut but not the other light circuits. I believe a diode and a capacitor will do the trick (an in-line diode and a capacitor across power (5V). I don't know for sure so I'd like some confirmation that this will work and is there an online program that will allow me to caculate to cap and diode specs? Other than 5V power I don't know the current required yet, but I can measure it if needed. It's a circuit with 4 leds powered from a flasher board.

Thanks very much in advance.
Jeff

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

If you put a small signal diode (e.g. a 1n4148) going to a capacitor in parallel with your LED and ballast resistor, this should do the trick. Obviously, you want the diode to allow current through when power is on, but block reverse current when power is off.

The combination of the ballast resistor and capacitor will have a time constant [itex](\tau)[/itex] equal to R*C:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_time_constant

By choosing a sufficiently large value for C, you can keep your LED on for a little while after you cut power to the circuit.

Good luck!

Thanks MATLABdude! This more or less confirms what I was thinking. By ballast resistor I assume you are talking about the resistance of the flasher circuit? Or do I need to add a resistor in line with the cap somewhere as shown in the pic. I have also been told the diode forward voltage is 0.7V, so if the flasher circuit needs 5VDC, I will have to boost input power to 5.7VDC. Is this correct?

powerhold.jpg

Sorry, I was under the impression that you wanted to drive the LED directly and with a current limiting resistor, not through your flasher circuit. The ballast resistor (a.k.a. current-limiting resistor) is used to control current to the LED and drop voltage to what your LED needs:
http://led.linear1.org/why-do-i-need-a-resistor-with-an-led/1/

If you want to power your flasher circuit, you don't need a(n additional?) ballast resistor. While not remotely correct, you can come up with a rough resistance ("R") based on the average current consumption of the flasher circuit (V=I*"R")

Related to How Can I Keep a Light Circuit Powered Briefly After Cutting Power?

1. How does a circuit work to keep the power on?

A circuit is a complete path that allows electricity to flow from a power source to an electrical device. The power source, such as a battery or power outlet, provides the energy that is then transferred through the circuit to the device, keeping it powered on.

2. What are the main components of a circuit?

A circuit typically consists of a power source, conductors (wires), and a load (electrical device). In addition, there may be other components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches that help regulate the flow of electricity within the circuit.

3. How do you prevent a circuit from overloading?

To prevent a circuit from overloading, it is important to use the correct size and type of wires, fuses, and circuit breakers for the amount of electricity being used. It is also important to avoid overloading outlets by using power strips and not plugging in too many devices at once.

4. Can a circuit be damaged if too much power is flowing through it?

Yes, a circuit can be damaged if too much power is flowing through it. This can cause overheating, melting of wires, and even fires. Properly sized wires and circuit breakers can help prevent this, as well as monitoring the amount of power being used by devices on the circuit.

5. How can you troubleshoot a circuit that is not keeping the power on?

If a circuit is not keeping the power on, there could be a number of issues such as a blown fuse, tripped circuit breaker, or loose connections. To troubleshoot, start by checking the power source and then follow the path of the circuit, checking for any damaged or faulty components. It may also be helpful to use a multimeter to test for continuity and proper functioning of the circuit components.