How can I make an original cloud chamber?

In summary, the speaker is trying to make a cloud chamber but is having trouble coming up with an original design. They mention trying a bottle design but feel it is not unique. They ask for other ideas or hints and mention searching for DIY cloud chamber videos on YouTube.
Gjmdp
I'm trying to do a cloud chamber, but I think they are all too common and simple. It's just a box. I've thought about doing in a bottle, but it is just too weird, and is not original. Any other ideas or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
A search for "DIY cloud chamber" on YouTube returned lots of hits.

Gjmdp said:
I'm trying to do a cloud chamber, but I think they are all too common and simple. It's just a box. I've thought about doing in a bottle, but it is just too weird, and is not original. Any other ideas or hints?

Define "original" in your criteria.

Zz.

I mean, not the tipical cristal or plastic box in which you put CO2 ice and alcohol. I've thought about the design of a bottle, but that's alredy done :(

1. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber is a device used to detect and visualize charged particles, such as cosmic rays, by creating trails of condensed water droplets. It works by saturating a chamber with alcohol vapor and then cooling it with dry ice or liquid nitrogen. When a charged particle passes through, it ionizes the alcohol molecules, creating a trail of water droplets that can be seen under a bright light source.

2. What materials do I need to make a cloud chamber?

To make a basic cloud chamber, you will need a clear plastic or glass container, isopropyl alcohol, dry ice or liquid nitrogen, a source of ionizing radiation (such as a piece of uranium or a radioactive source), and a light source. Optional materials include a black background, a laser pointer, and a camera to record the particle trails.

3. Is it safe to make a cloud chamber at home?

Making a simple cloud chamber at home is generally considered safe as long as proper precautions are taken. Isopropyl alcohol is flammable, so it should be handled carefully and in a well-ventilated area. Dry ice and liquid nitrogen can cause frostbite if handled improperly, so gloves should be worn when using these substances. Additionally, it is important to use a low level of radiation and to avoid prolonged exposure to it.

4. Can I make a cloud chamber without using radioactive materials?

Yes, it is possible to make a cloud chamber without using radioactive materials. One option is to use a piece of dry ice as the source of ionizing radiation. Another option is to use a strong magnet to deflect charged particles, creating visible trails in the cloud chamber. However, these methods may not produce as clear or frequent particle trails as using a radioactive source.

5. Are there any variations of cloud chambers that I can make?

Yes, there are many variations of cloud chambers that can be made depending on the materials and techniques used. Some examples include using a plastic bag filled with alcohol vapor instead of a container, using a power source to create an electric field in the chamber, or adding a magnetic field to study the properties of charged particles. There are also more advanced cloud chambers used in scientific research that involve more complex setups and techniques.