How can I pluck strings (with changing length) with constant energy?

mt1815
Homework Statement
I am doing an Extended Essay on Physics
Relevant Equations
n/a
Hi I am doing a physics investigation on the research question "If the string length changes (same tension) does the spread and amplitude of harmonics change?".

If I'm not mistaken, plucking energy should be a control variable. So, I want the energy of my plucks to remain consistent (through trials of changing length). Is there an easy way to accomplish this (at home) and measure the energy input (for further calculations)?

(edit)
I had an idea to attach a pendulum to attack the string with constant energy. But then I would not be able to measure the energy applied.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might investigate the mechanisms of the harpsichord and pianoforte. They didn't call it a "softloud" for no reason.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

What is the best way to pluck strings with changing length?

The best way to pluck strings with changing length is to use a constant energy source, such as a motor or spring, to maintain a consistent force on the string. This will allow for a more controlled and consistent plucking motion.

How does changing the length of the string affect the energy needed to pluck it?

Changing the length of the string will affect the energy needed to pluck it because the tension and stiffness of the string will change. A shorter string will require less energy to pluck compared to a longer string, as it will have less tension and be easier to bend.

What factors should be considered when plucking strings with changing length?

When plucking strings with changing length, it is important to consider the material and thickness of the string, the tension and stiffness of the string, and the energy source used to pluck the string. These factors will all impact the quality and consistency of the sound produced.

Can the energy needed to pluck strings with changing length be calculated?

Yes, the energy needed to pluck strings with changing length can be calculated by taking into account the tension and stiffness of the string, as well as the distance the string is being plucked. However, there may be other factors, such as friction and air resistance, that can affect the energy needed.

Are there any techniques or tools that can help with plucking strings with changing length?

Yes, there are techniques and tools that can help with plucking strings with changing length. One technique is to use a pick or plectrum, which can provide a more consistent plucking motion. Additionally, there are electronic devices, such as metronomes and tuners, that can help maintain a constant energy level while plucking strings with changing length.