How can I properly add plies to a composite leaf spring in ANSYS APDL?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ANSYS APDL for analyzing a composite leaf spring with a thickness of 12mm and a ply thickness of 0.125mm. The individual is having trouble dividing the thickness into plies using the SHELL181 element and is wondering if they should be using a layered element such as SHELL91 or SHELL99 instead. However, it is mentioned that SHELL181 is a 3D layered element, and the other options are no longer supported. It is suggested to use Ansys Mechanical Workbench for importing SolidWorks files and using composite elements.
salmansl
Hi,
I'm analyzing a composite leaf spring using ANSYS APDL, the leaf spring has a thickness of 12mm, and since it is a composite material, it is composed of many plies, I'm assuming the ply thickness to be 0.125mm. I imported the geometry as a Parasolid x_t. And the element type I used is SHELL181. But when I go to SHELL options and try to add plies, it doesn't seem to be dividing the thickness of the leaf spring into the plies I add. What do you think I'm doing wrong?
If anyone has done anything like that before, any help is highly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From what I see in the element reference SHELL181 is a standard 2-D shell element, but not a layered structure element for analyzing composite geometry. Shouldn't you be using a layered element such as SHELL91 or SHELL99?

SHELL181 is a 3D layered element. SHELL99 and SHELL91 are not supported anymore, I can manually add them to my analysis, but then when I click solve, nothing happens.

APDL is just Ansys Parametric Design Language. It is the old school interface before they invented Workbench. Ansys Mechanical Workbench can import your SolidWorks file. Then you can get crazy with composite elements?

1. What is ANSYS APDL Composite design?

ANSYS APDL (ANSYS Parametric Design Language) Composite design is a software tool used for designing composite materials and structures. It is a powerful tool for analyzing and optimizing composite structures, and it is widely used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

2. How does ANSYS APDL Composite design work?

ANSYS APDL Composite design uses finite element analysis (FEA) to simulate the behavior of composite materials and structures under different loading conditions. The software allows users to define the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the composite structure, and then it performs calculations to determine the stress, strain, and displacement of the structure.

3. What types of composite materials can be analyzed with ANSYS APDL?

ANSYS APDL Composite design can be used to analyze a wide range of composite materials, including carbon fiber reinforced polymers (CFRP), glass fiber reinforced polymers (GFRP), and metal matrix composites (MMC). It can also be used for laminates, sandwich structures, and other types of composite materials.

4. What are the benefits of using ANSYS APDL Composite design?

ANSYS APDL Composite design offers several benefits, such as accurate and reliable results, efficient design optimization, and the ability to simulate complex loading and boundary conditions. It also allows for easy visualization of results and the ability to make changes and analyze different design scenarios quickly.

5. Is ANSYS APDL Composite design suitable for beginners?

ANSYS APDL Composite design is a complex software tool that requires some training and experience to use effectively. While it may be suitable for beginners who are willing to invest time in learning the software, it is recommended for more experienced users or those who have a background in composite materials and FEA. ANSYS also offers training and support for those who are new to the software.