How Can I Quantitatively Validate My Numerical Model Against Experimental Data?

In summary, the speaker has developed a numerical model to simulate an imaging detector with various parameters. They would like to compare their model with experimental data, and have created a simple plot to illustrate their goal. The speaker is seeking advice on finding theoretical parameters to quantify the similarity between their simulated and experimental data. They mention that the 'RA' versus T plot is not linear and that the data points can vary by several orders of magnitude. They also mention that a simple mean absolute error or mean absolute percentage error could be used to characterize the model's error, but it should be calculated on observations not used to fit the model function.
py_engineer
Hi,

I developed this numerical model where I solve a set of PDEs that allows me to simulate an imaging detector with different parameters, etc.

Now, I would like to compare my model with a particular case where experimental data has been obtained. I made a very simple plot to explain what I want to do:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pyemelie/plot.bmp

The variable in the experimental data is 'RA' and is plotted versus temperature T.

Using my numerical model, I can simulate the detector in the conditions of the experimental case, and simulate 'RA' as well versus temperature (at the same temperature points than the experimental data, as shown in the little figure).

If I plot the experimental 'RA' and my simulated 'RA' versus T on the same graph, that should give something similar to what you can see in the image.

Now, I would like to find some theoretical parameters, correlation parameters or something like that (I am not really good with Statistics..) in order to give a quantitative value of how close my simulation data set is from the experimental one. Could anyone give me some advice/recommendations on this??

I don't want to go too deep in the model validation. I think that just a graphical analysis (such as just plotting the simulated and experimental data on the same graph) and a quantitative parameter would do.. But I would like still to use some kind of parameter with a theoretical background (meaning, I don't just want to make up my own parameter).

I want to point out that (in case it's relevant), as you see in the plot, the 'RA' versus T is not a linear plot, and that the 'RA' data points can vary by several orders of magnitude.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me whether you are more interested in RA or log(RA), but I don't see why a simple mean absolute error or mean absolute percentage error couldn't be used to characterize your model's error, though it should be calculated on observations not used to fit the model function.

-Will Dwinnell
http://matlabdatamining.blogspot.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Can I Quantitatively Validate My Numerical Model Against Experimental Data?

1. What is numerical model validation?

Numerical model validation is the process of comparing the results of a numerical model to real-world data or observations in order to determine the accuracy and reliability of the model.

2. Why is numerical model validation important?

Numerical model validation is important because it allows scientists to assess the performance of their models and ensure that they are producing accurate and reliable results. This is crucial for making informed decisions and predictions based on the model's output.

3. What are the methods used for numerical model validation?

The methods used for numerical model validation vary depending on the type of model and the available data. Some common methods include statistical analysis, sensitivity analysis, and error analysis. Model intercomparison and benchmarking against other models can also be used.

4. What are the challenges of numerical model validation?

One of the main challenges of numerical model validation is the availability and quality of observational data. In some cases, there may be limited or incomplete data, making it difficult to accurately validate the model. Additionally, models can be complex and have many parameters, making it challenging to determine which factors impact the model's performance.

5. How can numerical model validation be improved?

Numerical model validation can be improved by continuously updating and refining the model based on new data and observations. Collaboration and communication among scientists can also help to improve the validation process by allowing for the exchange of ideas and techniques. Additionally, incorporating more advanced and comprehensive validation methods can help to improve the accuracy and reliability of the models.