How can I safely power a laptop from my car battery without burning it out?

• Thread starter Miller44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car pc
In summary, a laptop plugged into a car's battery will only draw the amount of current it needs, but be careful because the electrical system in a car can be much higher than the rating of the laptop.
Miller44
Hello,

I am installing a small laptop computer in the dash of my car. My question is:

If the power supply from the battery of the laptop (which I do not have) is 12.65 volts at 2200 mA and I want to power it from the car battery (12.65 volts). Will the laptop only draw 2200 mA or will it burn out? And how would i lower the amperage if I need too? I have built minor circuits and have some knowledge on circuitry but I am just a little confused by this. Any advice would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Miller44 said:
Hello,

I am installing a small laptop computer in the dash of my car. My question is:
This is a driving hazard.

Ignoring the hazards I plunge ahead...

Your device will only draw the amount of current it "needs" at it's specified supply voltage. However automobile electrical systems can go up to around 14 volts when being charged, so your computer might feel like drawing more current than it should. It's probable that the guts of the computer are well enough designed that this won't be an issue, but they might be close enough to their design limits that an extra volt or two could push them over to the dark side. Pretty much the only way to know is to try it and see if anything heats up too much.

Awesome, that was my initial thought but I had to check. I bought a lot of 5 so if one goes ill be fine. And for saftey measures ill wire it to the parking break ;]. Thanks again!

I'd recommend going with something like this, instead:
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=APD80US
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.aspx?sku=APM69US
http://us.kensington.com/html/17588.html

As schip666! says, car electricity isn't always very clean. These are designed to just plug into the cigarette lighter, buffer out any spikes or garbage, and step up/down the voltage to whatever the laptop needs (I think the second Targus and the Kensington also allow you to plug them into the wall as well, if you happen to want that functionality).

I used one a previous model of the first Targus, which worked quite well--just plug in the model of your laptop on their page and it'll tell you which tip is required (and whether it's supplied with the unit, or whether you need to get them to send you a free one). I think both these companies (and others, including RAM mounts) supply in-car laptop mounting solutions as well, assuming you don't want to build your own, or just leave it on the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is it important to lower the temperature of a car PC?

Lowering the temperature of a car PC is important because electronic components are sensitive to heat and can malfunction or even permanently damage when exposed to high temperatures. By keeping the PC at a lower temperature, it can operate more efficiently and have a longer lifespan.

2. What are the common methods for lowering the temperature of a car PC?

There are several methods for lowering the temperature of a car PC, including using fans, heat sinks, liquid cooling, and thermal pads. These methods help dissipate heat away from the components and keep them at a lower temperature.

3. How can I monitor the temperature of my car PC?

There are various temperature monitoring software available that can be installed on the car PC to track its temperature. Some motherboards also have built-in temperature sensors that can display the current temperature on the screen.

4. Will lowering the temperature of my car PC affect its performance?

In most cases, lowering the temperature of a car PC will not affect its performance. In fact, it can even improve performance by preventing overheating and potential damage to the components. However, extreme cooling methods like liquid nitrogen may negatively impact performance.

5. Are there any risks associated with lowering the temperature of a car PC?

While there are minimal risks involved with lowering the temperature of a car PC, it is important to ensure that proper cooling methods are used and that the PC is not exposed to extreme temperatures. It is also crucial to regularly clean and maintain the cooling system to prevent any malfunctions or failures.