How can I show that the continuous dual X' of a normed space X is complete?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the continuous dual of a normed space is complete. The person has shown that if a sequence of continuous functionals is Cauchy, then there exists a pointwise convergent functional. However, they are struggling to show that the functional is also continuous. They suggest using the Cauchy property to find an N that satisfies a given inequality, and then using that to prove continuity.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[SOLVED] The continuous dual is Banach

Homework Statement

I'm trying to show that the continuous dual X' of a normed space X over K = R or C is complete.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that if f_n is cauchy in X', then there is a functional f towards which f_n converge pointwise. Then I showed that the distance ||f_n - f|| can be made arbitrarily small. The only thing that remains then is to show that f is indeed linear and continuous. The linear part is easy but the continuous part eludes me.

To say a linear functional f is continuous is equivalent to saying that ||f||<+oo. But I can't conclude that from the fact that f_n --> f (pointwise). I would need f_n --> f (uniformly). Or I would need a whole other approach. Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that (f_n) is cauchy to find an N such that if n,m>=N then ||f_n - f_m|| < 1. Then use the inequality |f(x)| <= |f(x) - f_N(x)| + |f_N(x)|.

Related to How can I show that the continuous dual X' of a normed space X is complete?

1. What is the continuous dual of a Banach space?

The continuous dual of a Banach space is the set of all continuous linear functionals on the space. These functionals map vectors from the Banach space to the underlying field (usually the real or complex numbers).

2. How is the continuous dual related to the original Banach space?

The continuous dual is closely related to the original Banach space through the concept of duality. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between elements in the continuous dual and elements in the original Banach space, and the two spaces can be thought of as "dual" to each other.

3. What are some examples of continuous duals of Banach spaces?

Some common examples of continuous duals of Banach spaces include the space of continuous functions on a compact interval, the space of Lebesgue integrable functions on a measure space, and the space of square-integrable functions on a measure space.

4. How does the continuous dual help us understand Banach spaces?

The continuous dual is a powerful tool for understanding Banach spaces, as it allows us to characterize and study the behavior of linear functionals on these spaces. It also provides a framework for studying the properties and structure of the original Banach space.

5. What is the significance of the continuous dual being a Banach space?

The fact that the continuous dual is itself a Banach space is significant because it means that the set of all continuous linear functionals on a Banach space is a complete space. This allows us to use tools and techniques from the theory of Banach spaces to study the properties of these functionals and their relationship to the original Banach space.