How can I simplify this logarithmic equation on a TI89 titanium?

In summary, the conversation discussed different approaches to changing common logs on the TI89 Titanium calculator, as well as a quick way to simplify an equation involving ln. The recommended method is to use the command "Diamond" followed by the number 7 to open the log() function, and then use the algebra trick ln(e^x) = x to simplify the equation.
calypsob
First of all I would like to share this because I randomly found it and I commonly see that people approach base changes of common logs on the ti89 titanium in a very different way.
Scroll half way down page 2 http://education.ti.com/xchange/AUS-NZ/Mathematics/Number/12250/SomehelpQAontheTI89.pdf
Also, the command "Diamond" and then 7 opens the log() function on ti89 titanium

Ok on to my question.

is there a quick way to enter this equation and simplify?

5lnx+6lny-4lnz =

The answer is ln(x^5*y^6/z^4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You lose some accuracy if you use complex numbers, but one easy way is to do ln(e^(5 ln x + 6 ln y - 4 ln z)). Use diamond-x for e^, or CHAR-MATH-5 also gives you the correct e.

This is just a simple algebra trick: ln(e^x)) = x, but the calculator doesn't try to simplify anymore. If you do e^ln(x), your domain is limited to positive numbers, and the calculator changes the format again.

1. What is the purpose of logarithms on the TI89 titanium calculator?

Logarithms on the TI89 titanium calculator are used to solve exponential equations and perform calculations involving large numbers. They are also helpful in converting between different number bases.

2. How do I enter logarithms on the TI89 titanium calculator?

To enter a logarithm on the TI89 titanium, press the "2nd" button followed by the "LN" or "LOG" button depending on the base of the logarithm. Then, enter the number or expression inside the parentheses.

3. Can the TI89 titanium calculate logarithms with a base other than 10 or e?

Yes, the TI89 titanium can calculate logarithms with any base. To do so, press the "2nd" button followed by the "LN" or "LOG" button, then enter the base after a comma before the parentheses.

4. How can I graph logarithmic functions on the TI89 titanium?

To graph a logarithmic function on the TI89 titanium, enter the function in the "Y=" menu using the appropriate logarithm syntax. Then, go to the "WINDOW" menu to adjust the x and y ranges and press "GRAPH" to see the graph.

5. Are there any common errors when using logarithms on the TI89 titanium?

One common error when using logarithms on the TI89 titanium is using the wrong base for a logarithmic calculation. Make sure to use the correct base when entering the logarithm. Another error may occur if the argument of the logarithm is equal to or less than 0, as this is undefined in mathematics.