How Can I Solve a Differential Equation in Physics Homework?

In summary, Homework Statement is discussing how they solved a differential equation for y(x). They used a different notation for dy which is e^y. They did the integral and it ended up with y'(x) being a function of x. They concluded that this was a hint that they may have done the differential equation incorrectly.
Daniel5423

Homework Statement

In my physics homework, I ran into a differential equation. I am attempting to solve this differential equation for y(x).

Homework Equations

y''[x] = -C/(y[x]^3) - y[x]

C is a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

dy^2/dx^2 = -C y[x]^-3 - y[x]
(1)/(-Cy[x]^-3 - y[x]) dy^2= dx^2
(-1/4)(ln(y^4 + C) dy = x dx

Now, I have to solve the integral for dy.

I was unable to find the integral for dy when it had a logarithm, so I manipulated the equation
ln(y^4 + C) dy = -4x dx
Now, use the e exponent.
(y^4 + C) e^dy = e^(-4x dx)

Now, do the integral.

(y^4 + C) e^y = e^-2x^2

Now, I can not solve for y in terms of x. If I try to use a natural logarithm to get rid of the e, it puts the other y term within the logarithm. I believe I did the differential equation incorrectly. Could someone please help me and give me a hint of what I did incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel5423 said:

Homework Statement

In my physics homework, I ran into a differential equation. I am attempting to solve this differential equation for y(x).

Homework Equations

y''[x] = -C/(y[x]^3) - y[x]

C is a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

dy^2/dx^2 = -C y[x]^-3 - y[x]
(1)/(-Cy[x]^-3 - y[x]) dy^2= dx^2
(-1/4)(ln(y^4 + C) dy = x dx

Now, I have to solve the integral for dy.

I was unable to find the integral for dy when it had a logarithm, so I manipulated the equation
ln(y^4 + C) dy = -4x dx
Now, use the e exponent.
(y^4 + C) e^dy = e^(-4x dx)

Now, do the integral.

(y^4 + C) e^y = e^-2x^2

Now, I can not solve for y in terms of x. If I try to use a natural logarithm to get rid of the e, it puts the other y term within the logarithm. I believe I did the differential equation incorrectly. Could someone please help me and give me a hint of what I did incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

You cannot do the type of manipulation you performed when you went from
$$\frac{d^y}{dx^2} = -\frac{c}{y^3} - y$$
to
$$\frac{1}{-c y^{-3} - y} dy^2 = dx^2 \; \Leftarrow \text{false!}$$

For one thing, you should have ##d^2y##, not ##dy^2##, and for another thing, ##dx^2## does not really mean anything. In fact, neither ##d^2y## nor ##dx^2## have any real meaning here---they are just notation used for writing a second derivative.

One way you could try to solve the problem would be to use time ##t## (instead of ##x##) as your independent variable, then view the problem as one of motion ##y = y(t)## in a force field that depends on ##y##. If the force is derivable from a potential ##V(y)##, the total of kinetic + potential energy is conserved (that is, will remain constant). That should allow you to find a first-order differential equation for ##dy/dt## whose right-hand-side is a function of ##y##, so you have a first-order separable DE that can be solved in principle. Unfortunately, the solution will be "implicit", in the form ##F(y) = t## for some complicated function ##y##, so it will probably not be possible to solve for ##y## explicitly in terms of ##t##.

Hint: Multiply both sides by ##y'(x)##. This is what will allow you to solve the problem by integrating twice.

Orodruin said:
Hint: Multiply both sides by ##y'(x)##. This is what will allow you to solve the problem by integrating twice.

That produces exactly the same DE as does the "energy-conservation" method suggested in #2. I guess the advantage of your approach is that it can be applied by somebody who has never taken Physics and so does not know about kinetic energy and potential functions, etc. Of course, that method is exactly how one derives the energy conservation result!

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
That produces exactly the same DE as does the "energy-conservation" method suggested in #2. I guess the advantage of your approach is that it can be applied by somebody who has never taken Physics and so does not know about kinetic energy and potential functions, etc. Of course, that method is exactly how one derives the energy conservation result!
Well yes. The basic idea is to obtain something that is a total derivative and therefore directly integrable - meaning that what you have the total derivative of is a constant of motion. In many physics problem that constant of motion is total energy, but the method itself I would argue is independent of this interpretation. Of course, it may help someone who has taken the appropriate physics courses to think in those terms.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model real-world phenomena and can be solved to find the function that satisfies the given conditions.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the given conditions and accurately models a real-world phenomenon. It can also help predict future behavior and make informed decisions.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Each type has its own unique characteristics and methods for solving.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series or numerical methods. It often involves manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then integrating to find the function.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and predict the behavior of systems. Some specific applications include population growth, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.