How Can I Solve These Integration Problems Using Integration by Parts?

In summary: The corrected solution is:$\displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)}\,dx-\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx$Now, for the first integral, using integration by parts, we find:u=\frac{1}{1+x}\,\therefore\,du=-\frac{1}{(1+x)^2}dv=e^x\,dx\,\therefore\,v=e^xand so we have:\int\
paulmdrdo1
how would i go about solving these problems?

\begin{align*}\displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}dx\end{align*}

\begin{align*}\int\frac{(1-x)dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\end{align*}

this is my solution to prob 2

\begin{align*}\displaystyle\int\frac{(1-x)dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,=\,\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}-\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx\end{align*}

then,
\begin{align*}\displaystyle \sin^{-1}x+C_1-\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx\\\\u\,=\,1-x^2\\du\,=\,-2xdx\\dx\,=\,\frac{du}{-2x}\\\\\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{u}(-2x)}du\\\\-\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{u}}=\,-\frac{1}{2}\frac{(u^{-\frac{1}{2}})}{\frac{1}{2}}\\\\ \sin^{-1}x+(1-x^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}+C\end{align*}

is my answer correct in prob 2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For problem 2, you have done well to split the integral:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1-x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx=\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx-\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx\)

You have done well also to recognize that:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx=\sin^{-1}(x)+C\)

and your substitution for the second integral is a good one:

\(\displaystyle u=1-x^2\,\therefore\,du=-2x\,dx\)

and so we now have:

\(\displaystyle -\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int u^{-\frac{1}{2}}\,du\)

Your methodology for doing substitutions is a bit different than mine, but you have the correct result.

For the first one, I suggest adding to the numerator of the integrand:

\(\displaystyle 0=e^x-e^x\)

and after the correct factorization, see if you find the product rule of differentiation can be applied to the integrand. :D

edit: what happens if in trying integration by parts, you decide to let:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{e^x}{x+1}\)

What is $du$?

this is what i tried

\begin{align*} \displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}dx\,=\,\int\frac{xe^x+e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}dx\\\\ \int\frac{e^x(x+1-1)}{(1+x)^2}dx\end{align*}

i couldn't continue. :confused:

Try:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}\)

Doesn't this look like it could be the result of differentiating a quotient?

$\displaystyle \frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}$ - is this equivalent to the original integrand? uhhmm sorry still don't get it.

paulmdrdo said:
$\displaystyle \frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}$ - is this equivalent to the original integrand? uhhmm sorry still don't get it.

Yes it is...we have simply added \(\displaystyle 0=e^x-e^x\) to the numerator.

\(\displaystyle \frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}=\frac{xe^x+e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}=\frac{\left(xe^x+e^x \right)-e^x}{(1+x)^2}=\frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}\)

$ \displaystyle \int \frac{(xe^x+e^x)-e^x}{(1+x)^2}dx $

$ \displaystyle \int \frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}dx \,=\,\int \frac{e^x}{(1+x)}dx-\int \frac{e^x}{(1+x)^2}dx $

what's next?

This is what I was trying to get you to see:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}=\frac{(x+1)\frac{d}{dx}\left(e^x \right)-e^x\frac{d}{dx}(1+x)}{(1+x)^2}\)

Now, isn't this the result of the differentiation of a quotient?

if that is the case the answer would be $ \displaystyle \frac{e^x}{(1+x)} $?

Minus the constant of integration, yes. Try differentiating this and see what you get.

ahmm.. that solution is kind of subtle. is there another way of solving that?

$\displaystyle D_x(\frac{e^x}{(1+x)})\,=\, \frac{(x+1)d_xe^x-e^x\,d_x(1+x)}{(1+x)^2}$

$\displaystyle \frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}$ this is equal to the original integrand.

paulmdrdo said:
ahmm.. that solution is kind of subtle. is there another way of solving that?

Yes, again we will use:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)}\,dx-\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx\)

Now, for the first integral, using integration by parts, we find:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{1}{1+x}\,\therefore\,du=-\frac{1}{(1+x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle dv=e^x\,dx\,\therefore\,v=e^x\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx= \frac{e^x}{1+x}+\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx-\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\frac{e^x}{1+x}+C\)

mark on the first integral why there's an x in the numerator? i suppose it's e^x only.
$\displaystyle \int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{(x+1)e^x-e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx=\int\frac{xe^x}{(1+x)}\,dx-\int\frac{e^x}{(1+x)^2}\,dx$

Yes, that was a typo, which I have fixed.

Related to How Can I Solve These Integration Problems Using Integration by Parts?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to solve integrals that involve the product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integrand into two parts and using the formula u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve the integral.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful when the integral involves a product of two functions, and it is difficult to find an antiderivative using other methods such as substitution or the power rule.

3. How do I choose which function to use as u and dv?

The general rule is to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate. This may require some trial and error, and it can also be helpful to use the acronym "LIATE" (logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, exponential) to determine which function should be chosen as u.

4. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. In this case, the formula becomes ∫a^b u dv = uv|a^b - ∫a^b v du, where a and b are the limits of integration.

5. Are there any special cases where integration by parts is not applicable?

Yes, there are some special cases where integration by parts cannot be used. These include integrals that involve logarithmic functions with a coefficient, or integrals that involve a product of two functions where one of the functions has a factor that cannot be integrated.