How can I solve this Mechanics problem, about a cylinder in water?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a cylindrical submarine with specific dimensions and mass, and how its buoyancy force is regulated based on depth. The first part of the conversation involves finding the maximum downward velocity of the submarine assuming it descends from a stationary position just below the water surface, neglecting viscous drag. The second part involves calculating how much deeper the submarine will sink if the captain drops the ballast at a depth of 250 m. The conversation also briefly mentions the equation for the volume of a cylinder and questions whether the equation for buoyancy gives an acceleration.
aero&astro
1. A cylindrical submarine has a radius R of 3.2 m, a length L of 35 m and a total mass of 1.2×10^6
kg, of which 1×10^5 kg is ballast that can be jettisoned. The total upwards buoyancy force, B (N), is regulated as a function of depth and is given by
B =(1020 + 0.25z)Vg ,
where z is the depth from the water surface to the top of the submarine (m), V is the volume of the submarine (m^3) and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).
(i) Neglecting viscous drag find the maximum downward velocity of the submarine assuming it
descends from a stationary position just below the water surface. The volume remains constant.
(ii) If the captain decides to drop the ballast at a depth z = 250 m, how much deeper (than 250 m) will the submarine sink?

this is all assuming the submarine is shaped like a simple cylinder. Can you help me?

2. Homework Equations the one given and F=ma is all that i can think of

Physics news on Phys.org
well, we need to know the volume of the submarine. so the equation for the volume of a cylinder is helpful...

probably: pi*r^2*L...

I'm not sure, but does the equation for B give us an acceleration? I don't think anything cancels out the /s^2 part of gravity so i think we get an acceleration for B.

isn't there an equation something like V = 1/2acceleration^2 + V(0)... If we plug our result for B into this... I think there's a (t) in the equation above. don't know exactly where this is going.

well... just some thoughts...

Last edited:

1. How do I approach solving this mechanics problem?

When faced with a mechanics problem involving a cylinder in water, it is important to first identify the given information and what the problem is asking for. Draw a clear diagram and label all the known variables. Then, use the relevant equations and principles of mechanics to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What are the key concepts I need to understand to solve this problem?

To solve a mechanics problem involving a cylinder in water, you should have a strong understanding of concepts such as buoyancy, pressure, and the properties of fluids. It is also important to be familiar with equations such as Archimedes' principle and the ideal gas law.

3. How can I incorporate the properties of water into my solution?

Since this problem involves a cylinder in water, it is crucial to consider the properties of water in your solution. This includes its density, specific gravity, and the hydrostatic pressure it exerts on the cylinder. Be sure to use the correct values and units in your calculations.

4. What if I am unsure of which equation to use?

If you are unsure of which equation to use, start by writing out all the known variables and what the problem is asking for. Then, look for equations that incorporate those variables. Make sure to also consider the principles and concepts involved in the problem and how they can help guide your solution.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, make sure your answer is reasonable and matches the given information. You can also double-check your calculations and equations to ensure they are accurate. If possible, try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result. Finally, ask for feedback from a teacher or colleague to confirm your solution.