How can I survive the future if I have language disorder?

In summary, the speaker has been diagnosed with a language disorder (learning disability) since kindergarten and struggles with reading, writing, and communication. However, they excel in math and are interested in computers and electrical engineering. The speaker worries about their language disorder affecting their ability to understand and express information, but is advised to use strategies and not let it hinder their career plans. They have received a diagnosis at a young age and are encouraged to seek a second opinion if they feel it is limiting them.
blackbyron
Hello, I was diagnosed with language disorder(learning disability) since I was a kindergarten. I am having a lot of trouble with reading and writing, and also have poor communication skills when it comes to meet people in general. It also affects my schoolwork no matter what subject I'm taking. However, the only thing I'm good at is math and I love using computers(building/fixing/networking) etc. The only drawback for liking computer is programming because I'm having a difficult time with language arts/critical thinking. I started programming back in 2006, and until this time, I find out that I don't like programming.

Back in community college, i don't know what I want to be until 3 years later, I decided to choose computer engineering, but since I'm not really good at programming I'm thinking about switching to Electrical engineering since I'm interested in circuits.

Because of my learning disability, what worries me is I am unable to understand things by expressing and receiving things. The easiest way that I can learn and understand is by seeing things. For example, I ask my professor/students for help. Whenever he/she explains it to me, I confused myself because of English, so he had to write down a piece of paper to show me what he's talking about. Same thing happen when I try to help people by explaining things, but they don't understand what I'm saying, so I have to show them writing down a piece of paper.

Langauge disorder is my main drawback for learning/understanding things, should I be too concerned about this?

I did okay in physics, but I don't really want to switch out EE because there are no majors I like besides this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Langauge disorder is my main drawback for learning/understanding things, should I be too concerned about this?
Yes - you already know this: you need to use strategies to lessen the effects or seek work in situations where it won't matter. I suspect the biggest problem will be when you are interviewed for a position - your prospective employer will ask you to explain some things for eg. You will need to be prepared.

Take heart: lots of people live their lives with some disorder though - some of them quite staggering.

I don't know what sort of language disorder you were diagnosed with, but as far as written communication is concerned, you are above average, IMO. I also would not let this diagnosis inhibit me in planning a future career. Given your age at the time of diagnosis, I would also not treat it as definitive for whatever condition your parents were told you have, nor what you think you might have. If you are convinced that this condition will limit you, now that you are older, I would urge you to seek a second opinion. This diagnosis is not something for which one has incontrovertible physical evidence, like a broken leg.

1. How does having a language disorder affect my ability to survive in the future?

Having a language disorder can make communication and understanding more difficult, which can impact various aspects of your life. This may include challenges in education, employment, and social interactions. However, with proper support and accommodations, individuals with language disorders can still lead successful and fulfilling lives.

2. Can a language disorder be cured?

Language disorders are typically not curable, as they are neurological conditions. However, with therapy and other interventions, individuals can learn strategies to manage their disorder and improve their language skills.

3. What kinds of accommodations can help me manage my language disorder?

Accommodations for individuals with language disorders may include assistive technology, extra time for tasks, and alternative forms of communication such as sign language or picture communication systems. It is important to work with a speech-language pathologist to determine the best accommodations for your specific needs.

4. Will having a language disorder limit my career options in the future?

While certain careers may require strong communication skills, having a language disorder does not necessarily limit your career options. With the right accommodations and support, individuals with language disorders can succeed in a variety of fields. It is important to find a career that aligns with your strengths and interests.

5. Are there any long-term effects of having a language disorder?

The effects of a language disorder can vary depending on the individual and the severity of their disorder. Some individuals may continue to experience difficulties with language throughout their life, while others may see improvements with therapy and interventions. It is important to continue working with a therapist and utilizing accommodations to manage any long-term effects of a language disorder.