How can I understand valence bond theory and VSEPR theory?

In summary: In short, when you think you understood something, make sure you can summarize it. Then, be able to do problems on it.
Frigus
I think these theory is made to match the experimental results because I watched videos from Khan academy, jg e.t.c all of them teaching in video is that how do we calculate hybridisation, sigma bonds, π bonds e.t.c and to me these these sources are best because most of the times they gives intuition but now in teaching these topic they are not giving intuition of the topics of valence bond theory,VSEPR e.t.c. can you please tell me how can I understand these to topics

Physics news on Phys.org
How can I understand valence bond theory and VSEPR theory

Work at it. And by "work" I mean "work harder than you have shown on other topics".

In the past, when people answer your question, you often immediately say you don't understand. It takes more time and effort than that. You have to put in the effort; we can't do it for you.

Likes Dr_Nate and Frigus
Vanadium 50 said:
Work at it. And by "work" I mean "work harder than you have shown on other topics".

In the past, when people answer your question, you often immediately say you don't understand. It takes more time and effort than that. You have to put in the effort; we can't do it for you.
Sorry,
I now try to put more effort than earlier and will do more and more hardwork to succeed my goals.
But sometimes I got to much irritated and somehow sub consciously accept that I will not able to understand that topic than even after getting answer I think that I will not understand from that answer But now I ponder about the topics and get the point.
Now this time I posted this because the resources from which I study can't get that intuition that I got earlier so I posted this so I can know some other channels like 3blue1brown,Khan academy from experienced people like you but now I think I should keep studying from these channels because as you said I should put more effort myself not from the help of others. So I will try to build my concepts stronger on my own rather than help of any other resources.

Thanks

Hemant.

Hemant said:
Now this time I posted this because the resources from which I study can't get that intuition that I got earlier so I posted this so I can know some other channels like 3blue1brown,Khan academy from experienced people like you but now I think I should keep studying from these channels because as you said I should put more effort myself not from the help of others.
http://www.ilectureonline.com/lectures/subject/CHEMISTRY/12

Hemant said:
Sorry,
I now try to put more effort than earlier and will do more and more hardwork to succeed my goals.
But sometimes I got to much irritated and somehow sub consciously accept that I will not able to understand that topic than even after getting answer I think that I will not understand from that answer But now I ponder about the topics and get the point.
Now this time I posted this because the resources from which I study can't get that intuition that I got earlier so I posted this so I can know some other channels like 3blue1brown,Khan academy from experienced people like you but now I think I should keep studying from these channels because as you said I should put more effort myself not from the help of others. So I will try to build my concepts stronger on my own rather than help of any other resources.

Thanks

Hemant.
You should be aware that putting the time into something is not the same as hard work. Watching a few videos is fine to get a general awareness of something or maybe even your answer. But, often you must feel like you are putting in mental effort.

Whether a text or video you should try to summarize what you are learning. If you can't then you didn't learn it. When I was studying theorems and concepts, I used to copy my notes so that they were briefer and briefer. But, also for something like VSEPR you will then to work at many problems. Go away for a while come back and try the problems again.

Likes Frigus

1. What is valence bond theory?

Valence bond theory is a chemical bonding theory that explains the formation of covalent bonds between atoms. It states that atoms share electrons in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

2. How does valence bond theory differ from other bonding theories?

Valence bond theory takes into account the overlapping of atomic orbitals to form bonds, while other theories such as Lewis structures and molecular orbital theory focus on the arrangement of electrons in molecules.

3. What is VSEPR theory?

VSEPR (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) theory is a model used to predict the three-dimensional shape of molecules based on the repulsion between electron pairs in the valence shell of an atom.

4. How does VSEPR theory help us understand the properties of molecules?

VSEPR theory helps us understand the properties of molecules by predicting their shape, which in turn affects their polarity, reactivity, and other physical and chemical properties.

5. How can I apply valence bond and VSEPR theories in my research?

Valence bond and VSEPR theories are widely used in research to understand and predict the behavior of molecules. They are particularly useful in the fields of organic chemistry, biochemistry, and materials science.