How can I wire a bipolar stepper motor to switches for my laser engraver?

In summary, you are trying to connect a stepper motor to switches. You have a 12v transformer, a capacitor, 2 push button switches and one 3 way switch. You are not familiar with the drive waveforms for steppers, to step each direction and to hold position. You are successful running the motor with a transformer, capacitor, and 3 way switch. But you need a controller to move the table to a particular position. Stopping and holding it at a particular position requires additional circuitry.
Scottydntno
TL;DR Summary
Trying to wire a bipolar stepper motor to a switch(s)
Hello everyone,

I currently bought a Z axis table for my laser engraver. I am trying to hook the stepper motor up separately. I currently have a 12v transformer, a capacitor, 2 push button switches and one 3 way switch along with the stepper motor. Is there any way I can wire the stepper to the switches?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Which stepper motor is it? Can you post the datasheet? Are you familiar with the drive waveforms for steppers, to step each direction and to hold position?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Which stepper motor is it? Can you post the datasheet? Are you familiar with the drive waveforms for steppers, to step each direction and to hold position?

I bought the Z Table from Lightobjects.com they have been very "not" helpful with ANY information. I can get the motor to move in one direction but then I would need to manually switch the wires over. I would like to be able to driver the stepper motor in both directions via 1 switch for up and one switch for down.

Is this the circuit you made?
You don't mention a controller.
1576956711895.png

256bits said:
Is this the circuit you made?
You don't mention a controller.
View attachment 254508

Is a controller the ONLY way to run a stepper motor?

Scottydntno said:
You had, or did not have, a controller when it ran in one direction.
Is that your circuit?

Scottydntno said:
berkeman said:
Are you familiar with the drive waveforms for steppers, to step each direction and to hold position?
You didn't answer my last question... :smile:

https://www.imagesco.com/stepper/waveform.jpg

1576965747117.png

Scottydntno said:
Of course not. If demands of positioning and activation are simple enough one can make relay network instead of a controller to run it.

Likes berkeman
Yes you must have a controller. a stepper requires on off pulses on each of 3 or perhaps 4 ciircuits. It can be done with logic circuits

Thank you all for your advise, but I was successful at running the bipolar stepper motor with a 12v transformer, capacitor, and a 3 way momentary switch in both directions flawlessly. 😎😎

Attachments

• 20191221_203031.jpg
    20191221_203031.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 20191221_203044.jpg
    20191221_203044.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 151
  • 20191221_203034.jpg
    20191221_203034.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 168
Likes 256bits, dlgoff and berkeman
Scottydntno said:
Thank you all for your advise, but I was successful at running the bipolar stepper motor with a 12v transformer, capacitor, and a 3 way momentary switch in both directions flawlessly. 😎😎
Yes. You were successful running it. That's good.
Choosing the right capacitor so that one coil is 90 degrees out of phase, or nearly, with the other coil does the trick. So now the motor runs somewhat like a regular motor, but IIR, not as efficiently.

But with the capacitor circuit, moving the table to a particular position is quite near impossible. The motor will run back or forth, but getting it to an exact position requires a keen eye and some luck, which when moving your table may not be satisfactorily reproducible each and every time.
Stopping and holding it at a particular position requires additional circuitry.
To count the number of rotations of a motor or shaft, have an external counter - ie magnetic pickup, photo diode,... One doesn't need a stepper motor. You could count the number of AC cycles, but the acceleration of the motor and ( changing) torque upon it, makes that problematic.

But you have a stepper and should make use of its features.
The thing about a stepper is that you can set the amount of rotation of the motor by energizing the coils in a certain way. See post #7. The motor "steps" into the next "degree" of rotation.
You need a counter to count the steps, either up or down from some zero position, some transistors( relays ) connected to each coil, and some logic circuitry to turn the transistors on and off in a particular fashion.
You can make your own circuitry, or a use package on a chip.
I have always like this page.
http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/circuits.html

Likes sysprog
Scottydntno said:
Your 3 way switch is thed controller.

What is a bipolar stepper motor?

A bipolar stepper motor is a type of electric motor that uses two coils to control the movement of the motor. It is commonly used in robotics, 3D printers, and other precision control systems.

What is the difference between bipolar and unipolar stepper motors?

The main difference between bipolar and unipolar stepper motors is the number of coils used. Bipolar motors have two coils, while unipolar motors have four or more coils. This means that bipolar motors have better control and precision, but require more complex wiring.

How do you wire a bipolar stepper motor?

To wire a bipolar stepper motor, you will need to connect both coils to a motor driver or controller. Each coil will have two wires, and these wires must be connected to the appropriate pins on the driver. The driver will then control the movement of the motor by sending electrical pulses to the coils.

What is the difference between series and parallel wiring for bipolar stepper motors?

In series wiring, the two coils of a bipolar stepper motor are connected in a series circuit. This results in a lower current draw and less torque, but also smoother and more precise movement. In parallel wiring, the two coils are connected in parallel, resulting in a higher current draw and more torque, but also less precise movement.

Can a bipolar stepper motor be controlled without a driver?

No, a bipolar stepper motor requires a driver or controller to function properly. The driver is responsible for sending the correct electrical signals to the motor, which control its movement. Without a driver, the motor will not be able to move or may move erratically.