How can self-study lead to long-term learning compared to classroom instruction?

In summary: If someone teaches me something and let's me practice with it, it'll stay for a couple of weeks or months.If I figure something out for myself, preferably the 'hard' way, it's there for the rest of my...life?
harpazo
As I study calculus 3, I often revisit calculus 1 and 2. The following application is from single variable calculus, partucularly calculus 1, called RELATED RATES. I have not seen a related rates problem since the 2015. I am a bit rusty with the set up. Can someone help me set it up? I can take it from there.

A balloon, initially of radius 1 cm, is being inflated in such a way that its radius at time t seconds is (1+2t) cm. What is the rate of increase of its volume when t = 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
As I study calculus 3, I often revisit calculus 1 and 2. The following application is from single variable calculus, partucularly calculus 1, called RELATED RATES. I have not seen a related rates problem since the 2015. I am a bit rusty with the set up. Can someone help me set it up? I can take it from there.

A balloon, initially of radius 1 cm, is being inflated in such a way that its radius at time t seconds is (1+2t) cm. What is the rate of increase of its volume when t = 2?

If we assume the balloon is spherical, then we can begin with the volume of a sphere:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\)

Differentiating w.r.t time $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}=4\pi r^2\d{r}{t}\)

We are told:

\(\displaystyle r=2t+1\implies \d{r}{t}=2\)

So, can you now express the time rate of change of volume as a function of $t$?

MarkFL said:
If we assume the balloon is spherical, then we can begin with the volume of a sphere:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3\)

Differentiating w.r.t time $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}=4\pi r^2\d{r}{t}\)

We are told:

\(\displaystyle r=2t+1\implies \d{r}{t}=2\)

So, can you now express the time rate of change of volume as a function of $t$?

Are you saying to solve r = 2t + 1 for t?

Harpazo said:
Are you saying to solve r = 2t + 1 for t?

No, just plug in for $r$ and \(\displaystyle \d{r}{t}\) in the expression for the time rate of change of volume. :D

r = 2t + 1

r = 2(2) = 1

r = 5

dv/dt = 4πr^2 (dr/dt)

dv/dtb= 4π(5)^2(2)

dv/dt = 4π50

dv/dt = 200π cm/second

Correct?

Plugging in, we obtain

\(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}=4\pi(2t+1)^2(2)=8\pi(2t+1)^2\)

Hence, in \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{cm}^3}{\text{s}}\), we have:

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{V}{t}\right|_{t=2}=8\pi(2(2)+1)^2=200\pi\quad\checkmark\)

MarkFL said:
Plugging in, we obtain

\(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}=4\pi(2t+1)^2(2)=8\pi(2t+1)^2\)

Hence, in \(\displaystyle \frac{\text{cm}^3}{\text{s}}\), we have:

\(\displaystyle \left.\d{V}{t}\right|_{t=2}=8\pi(2(2)+1)^2=200\pi\quad\checkmark\)

I got it right. Cool. I love related rates. I wish I had a total understanding of the set up. Back to calculus 3. I am in the triple integral chapter. By the way, I test myself at the end of each chapter. The passing grade is 70 percent per chapter. If my grade is less than 70, I must repeat the chapter. This is my method. What do you say?

Harpazo said:
...By the way, I test myself at the end of each chapter. The passing grade is 70 percent per chapter. If my grade is less than 70, I must repeat the chapter. This is my method. What do you say?

I say whatever works best for you is fine by me. :)

To save time, I would likely only review the sections pertaining to the problems I missed.

MarkFL said:
I say whatever works best for you is fine by me. :)

To save time, I would likely only review the sections pertaining to the problems I missed.

Most people do not remember what they had for breakfast this morning much less what they learned in calculus long ago. This is my problem. I am learning calculus 3 now. I am learning triple integrals. But, to be honest, I cannot recall most of calculus 2 not to mention related rates. I have not played with related rates since 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

How can I remember what I studied years ago? I am now learning triple integrals. Next month, double integrals will become a distant chapter. There are people in this website that can answer precalculus through calculus 3 like drinking water. How is that possible? The human mind can only remember so much.

Harpazo said:
Most people do not remember what they had for breakfast this morning much less what they learned in calculus long ago. This is my problem. I am learning calculus 3 now. I am learning triple integrals. But, to be honest, I cannot recall most of calculus 2 not to mention related rates. I have not played with related rates since 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

How can I remember what I studied years ago? I am now learning triple integrals. Next month, double integrals will become a distant chapter. There are people in this website that can answer precalculus through calculus 3 like drinking water. How is that possible? The human mind can only remember so much.

When someone tells me something new, I have already forgotten pretty much what they're saying before they even finish their sentence.
If someone teaches me something and let's me practice with it, it'll stay for a couple of weeks or months.
If I figure something out for myself, preferably the 'hard' way, it's there for the rest of my life.

I like Serena said:
When someone tells me something new, I have already forgotten pretty much what they're saying before they even finish their sentence.
If someone teaches me something and let's me practice with it, it'll stay for a couple of weeks or months.
If I figure something out for myself, preferably the 'hard' way, it's there for the rest of my life.

I am the same way. Through self-study and hard work, I learn so much. Through classroom instructions, I grasp very little.

1. What is Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 is the introductory course in the study of Calculus, a branch of mathematics that deals with continuous change and motion. It focuses on the fundamental concepts and techniques of differentiation and integration.

2. What topics are covered in Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, and integrals. It also includes techniques for finding derivatives and integrals, as well as their applications in real-world problems.

3. Why is Calculus 1 important?

Calculus 1 is important because it provides a foundation for higher-level math and science courses. It also has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some resources for reviewing Calculus 1?

There are many resources available for reviewing Calculus 1, including textbooks, online courses, practice problems, and tutoring services. Additionally, many universities offer free resources such as review sessions and study groups for students.

5. How can I prepare for a Calculus 1 exam?

To prepare for a Calculus 1 exam, it is important to review the material regularly, attend class and ask questions, and practice solving problems. It may also be helpful to create study guides, work with a study group, and seek help from a tutor if needed.