How can I effectively prepare for a physics course based on calculus?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Austin Gibson
  • Start date
In summary: It may be helpful to have a study schedule that prioritizes what material to study and how much time to devote to each. This way, you will not be surprised by material on the exam. The syllabus will give you a good idea of what will be on the test.I suggest that you study the material that is covered in the syllabus and try to familiarize yourself with concepts covered in class so that you are not totally surprised by the material on the test. Additionally, it would be helpful to have a study schedule that prioritizes what material to study and how much time to devote to each.
Austin Gibson
Hello, my name is Austin. I live in Opelika, Alabama. I am enrolled in a physics course based on calculus. It's required to graduate with a degree in "Exercise Science." I was reluctant to enroll because my last calculus class was 3 years ago, but I'm a headstrong person and enrolled anyway. I earned an "A" in calculus and a 99% on the final exam. I trusted that I'd remember what I learned. Returning to the present, I earned a 92% on my first physics test. The average score was a 55%. That test was mostly about kinematics to which I could relate and was intuitive to me. Yesterday was the day for the second test. It was composed of 13 questions. I was able to answer 11 of them with my answers matching a choice of the choices (it was a multiple choice test). Nonetheless, I was unable to answer the last two and felt overwhelmed throughout the test. I estimate that I earned ~70% on the test. That's almost certainly above the average, but it's below my personal standards. We finished the section about kinetic energy on Tuesday and our test was on Thursday. Half of the test was about kinetic energy. Since we mostly reviewed tension problems in class, I mostly studied tension. Plus, the kinetic energy homework was postponed because most of the class was struggling to understand the previous chapter. I'm an industrious person; I am genuinely intrigued by the subject; I studied for the test, but it's difficult to master the chapters at the current pace. I recognized the pace was beyond my control. Hence, I sought guidance since the beginning of the semester. My college offers free tutoring, but they merely hired one physics tutor and his understanding of the subject is vague. Without exaggeration, he's learning the subject with us. I'm grateful for any tutoring, but my expectations of the college were higher. Regardless, that's the reality. Most of the class is frustrated and I am too. Perhaps he'll curve our grades at the end of the semester, that's unpredictable and counting on that would be a mistake. I sought tutoring from someone in my city, but they charged a hefty fee and I'm unable to sustain that rate with my current income. I regularly read our textbook, but I struggle to understand their presentation of the information. This probably resembles a rant. That's unintentional, but it is important to explain my predicament to formulate a solution. My goal is to earn an "A" and nothing less. Therefore, unless I modify my approach to learn this material, I will fail to reach that goal. My question to everyone reading this is the following: "What resources (particularly those for novices) are accessible to me to dramatically improve the effectiveness of my studying?" I posted some of my homework questions on the forums and I'm exceptionally grateful for everyone who assisted me, but that's obviously inefficient. Hence, I compiled a list of questions for everyone reading this.

The questions are the following:

1. What are some books (old or new) with newbie-friendly explanations?

2. Where can I find financially practical tutoring for physics?

3. What are your preferred methods of studying?

4. What're other miscellaneous resources for learning?

5. What's your advice for me that's specific to my predicament?

As I stated before, this is unintended as a rant. I'm sincerely searching for a solution/advice. Anything you can offer me is greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking at Khan Academy for help understanding some concepts? Or other free online lectures (like MIT Open Courseware)? In the link you provided, I might look most closely at the "College physics" textbook - it has a chapter on work/energy. I can't vouch for how good of a textbook it is, but I will always recommend having more than one resource, since sometimes an author will just say a single sentence or word that makes things click!

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good tutoring experience. As an undergrad, we had a "physics club" with upperclassmen physics majors who volunteered to tutor - I don't know if such a thing exists at your university.

Likes Austin Gibson
Hi, as it happens I drove through Opelika yesterday. One mistake I see in your preparation was focusing on material in class rather than preparing evenly for everything covered by the exam as described in the syllabus or by your instructor. Students often do this thinking exams will proportionally cover material in relation to how class time was used. Many professors allocate class time to what students seem to need the most rather than to what the professors see as most important or plan to put on the exam. Try and weight your preparation time evenly toward everything that is fair game for the exams.

Also, while optimization is possible, it works much better once you are spending 2-3 hours of preparation time outside of class for each class hour - that means 12-16 hours a week for a 4 credit hour physics class. 3-4 hours is not going to cut it.

Rather than pay a tutor, I recommend first trying any and all tutoring centers that are likely available on campus, already supported with college funds. Most campuses in the south have at least one tutoring center, many campuses have multiple ones. Find them. Use them.

Finally, the most efficient way to learn physics is (after reading the book, attending all the lectures, and taking good notes) to work lots of problems. First, work all the assigned problems. Then work lots of other problems from the book that are similar to the assigned problems. When you go to a tutor (or your prof's office hours) for help, don't just say, I don't understand torque (or whatever). Start with a problem you didn't understand and ask them to show you how to work it. But get as far as you can before going to them: draw a diagram, identify the important principles, identify knowns and unknowns, identify formulas you might need, perform any needed unit conversions, and compute components of the vectors you are given. Then you can spend time with the prof or tutor spending time on the parts you really need help on rather than wasting time on stuff you can already do.

Likes Austin Gibson
I always considered lectures as at least the second most important part of learning the subject problem solving being the first. In my experience even the best students attended the lectures. The professor offer a different prospective on the subject and emphasize what they consider to be most important often providing insights not presented in a text. An of course you can ask question if necessary. The professor may pose questions which further engages you with the subject. From the lectures come the notes which were extensively "cleaned up" while still fresh in my mind before the next lecture reinforcing the material. It was a continual process uninterrupted through the course. Attend lectures, clean up notes, work problems .

Your aim should be to make the subject you own. That is understanding it in your own personal way,in your own words, seeing the relationships among the concepts knowing where something came from and where it will take you, grasping the connections. There are reasons for everything find them and appreciate them.

Likes Austin Gibson
Dishsoap said:
Have you tried looking at Khan Academy for help understanding some concepts? Or other free online lectures (like MIT Open Courseware)? In the link you provided, I might look most closely at the "College physics" textbook - it has a chapter on work/energy. I can't vouch for how good of a textbook it is, but I will always recommend having more than one resource, since sometimes an author will just say a single sentence or word that makes things click!

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good tutoring experience. As an undergrad, we had a "physics club" with upperclassmen physics majors who volunteered to tutor - I don't know if such a thing exists at your university.
Yes, I watch Khan Academy for conceptual understanding. After I develop a vague understanding of the terms, I tackle the questions reviewed in class. I agree with you that multiple perspectives on topics is valuable. Hence, I bought three supplementary books. If the wording of one puzzles me, I'll read another. :oldbiggrin: Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:
Hi, as it happens I drove through Opelika yesterday. One mistake I see in your preparation was focusing on material in class rather than preparing evenly for everything covered by the exam as described in the syllabus or by your instructor. Students often do this thinking exams will proportionally cover material in relation to how class time was used. Many professors allocate class time to what students seem to need the most rather than to what the professors see as most important or plan to put on the exam. Try and weight your preparation time evenly toward everything that is fair game for the exams.

Also, while optimization is possible, it works much better once you are spending 2-3 hours of preparation time outside of class for each class hour - that means 12-16 hours a week for a 4 credit hour physics class. 3-4 hours is not going to cut it.

Rather than pay a tutor, I recommend first trying any and all tutoring centers that are likely available on campus, already supported with college funds. Most campuses in the south have at least one tutoring center, many campuses have multiple ones. Find them. Use them.

Finally, the most efficient way to learn physics is (after reading the book, attending all the lectures, and taking good notes) to work lots of problems. First, work all the assigned problems. Then work lots of other problems from the book that are similar to the assigned problems. When you go to a tutor (or your prof's office hours) for help, don't just say, I don't understand torque (or whatever). Start with a problem you didn't understand and ask them to show you how to work it. But get as far as you can before going to them: draw a diagram, identify the important principles, identify knowns and unknowns, identify formulas you might need, perform any needed unit conversions, and compute components of the vectors you are given. Then you can spend time with the prof or tutor spending time on the parts you really need help on rather than wasting time on stuff you can already do.
Initially, I intend to review the material/homework alone. If I'm stumped on a question or unsatisfied with the description of the book, I intend to meet with my professor. Last week, I bought a book which is mostly a compilation of practice questions. It'll arrive soon. I'll remember your advice about preparing material for the professor. This is mildly related, but one of my personal weaknesses is haphazardly approaching questions. If I developed a organized approach, such as writing the listed measurements/variables first, it'd probably significantly improve my efficiency. Thank you for your response. :smile:

gleem said:
I always considered lectures as at least the second most important part of learning the subject problem solving being the first. In my experience even the best students attended the lectures. The professor offer a different prospective on the subject and emphasize what they consider to be most important often providing insights not presented in a text. An of course you can ask question if necessary. The professor may pose questions which further engages you with the subject. From the lectures come the notes which were extensively "cleaned up" while still fresh in my mind before the next lecture reinforcing the material. It was a continual process uninterrupted through the course. Attend lectures, clean up notes, work problems .

Your aim should be to make the subject you own. That is understanding it in your own personal way,in your own words, seeing the relationships among the concepts knowing where something came from and where it will take you, grasping the connections. There are reasons for everything find them and appreciate them.
I agree with your prioritization of lectures. I'll practice your advice of dissecting the questions to determine the structure of each. Thank you for your further advice/response. :smile:

1. How can I improve my memory while learning?

One way to improve memory while learning is to practice active learning techniques, such as making flashcards, summarizing information in your own words, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to get enough sleep and exercise regularly, as these can improve overall brain function and memory retention.

2. What are some effective study strategies?

Some effective study strategies include breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks, using visual aids like diagrams and charts, and taking breaks to prevent burnout. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and prioritize difficult or important material.

3. How can I stay motivated while learning?

To stay motivated while learning, it is important to set specific and achievable goals, reward yourself for your progress, and find a study environment that works for you. Additionally, reminding yourself of the bigger picture and the reasons why you are learning can help maintain motivation.

4. How can I make the most of my study time?

To make the most of your study time, eliminate distractions such as your phone or social media, find a quiet and comfortable study space, and prioritize your tasks based on importance and difficulty. It can also be helpful to take breaks and switch up the way you are studying to prevent boredom.

5. What role do practice and repetition play in learning?

Practice and repetition are essential for learning as they help to reinforce information and strengthen memory. By practicing a skill or reviewing material multiple times, you are more likely to retain the information and be able to recall it in the future. Additionally, practicing in different ways, such as through quizzes, flashcards, or hands-on activities, can further enhance learning.