How Can Sources and Sinks be Incorporated in a Parabolic PDE Algorithm?

In summary, the program produces similar errors for various values of the deltat and lattice spacings, and the errors are similar in magnitude. There is no apparent way to incorporate sources and sinks into the program to improve its accuracy.
ognik
Hi - on the last chapter of this course and was feeling much better about it all, but I now confess to being back in my normal state - confused. I am given a simple fortran program (code attached in the zip file) and asked to investigate its accuracy and stability, for various values of \(\displaystyle \Delta\)t and lattice spacings. The program is an implementation of:
$ {\phi}^{n+1} = \frac{1}{1 + H\Delta t}\left[{\phi}^{n} + S^n \Delta t \right] $ (H is hermitian)

I have run this program for various sets of values - and the output all looks so similar that I can't see anything to discuss. The errors are similar magnitude. Some combinations of input don't produce any output - but that should be just a validation issue, as I say it is a simple program with no frills.
Someone give me a clue or 2 please...

Attachments

• chap7b.zip
    662 bytes · Views: 45
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I see a few people have looked without responding - I think I should be finding limitations of this approach, but so far haven't, so I might just be missing something obvious to someone else...either way, hopefully talking about the 2nd part of the exercise will help.

The second (and maybe prime) part of the exercise says 'Incorporate sources or sinks along the lattice and study the solutions that arise when ∅ vanishes everywhere at t = 0

The text hasn't used the concept of sources/sinks before, but I think the PDE in question is similar to a diffusion equation so - please correct me - sources and sinks would be where there is inflow/outflow from the volume under study? And they are related to the Sn term in the equation? Earlier in this chapter I did some exercises on discretization, so I am familiar with that and lattices, but I am clueless otherwise (this course is about computational physics and as it happens I won't do equations like this until next year, C'est la vie)

Hi, I have edged a bit further along with this:

Please correct me carefully here - sources and sinks would be where there is inflow/outflow from the volume/area under study? Therefore should I be looking at something like $ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} < 0 \: $ for a sink? $\: > 0 $ for a source?

If so, how does one incorporate them, along the lattice, into the attached program? I really am just blank about this...an example would be very useful! Thanks.

Related to How Can Sources and Sinks be Incorporated in a Parabolic PDE Algorithm?

What is a parabolic PDE algorithm?

A parabolic PDE algorithm is a numerical method for solving partial differential equations (PDEs) that involve time-dependent phenomena. It is used to approximate the solution of a PDE at different time steps, starting from an initial condition.

What types of problems can be solved using a parabolic PDE algorithm?

A parabolic PDE algorithm can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including heat transfer, diffusion, and wave propagation. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model dynamic systems.

How does a parabolic PDE algorithm work?

A parabolic PDE algorithm works by discretizing the PDE into a system of equations that can be solved numerically. It uses a time-stepping approach to approximate the solution at different time steps, using the previous time step as a starting point. The algorithm then iteratively updates the solution until it converges to a stable solution.

What are the advantages of using a parabolic PDE algorithm?

One of the main advantages of using a parabolic PDE algorithm is that it can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. It is also versatile and can be applied to a wide range of problems. Additionally, the algorithm is computationally efficient and can produce accurate results with relatively few computational resources.

Are there any limitations to using a parabolic PDE algorithm?

While a parabolic PDE algorithm is a powerful tool for solving PDEs, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for problems with discontinuous solutions or sharp gradients. It also requires careful selection of time step and grid size to ensure convergence and accuracy. In some cases, alternative methods such as finite element or finite volume methods may be more suitable.