How can the deflection of a rod be lengthened to stabilize the shock at T = 2.51?

In summary, the current of a regenerative shock absorber is modeled by I = -5e^(-0.5t) cos t - 10e^(-0.5t) sin t where t is in seconds and q is in coulombs. at t = 0, the charge of the shock absorber is 80. by first determining the lim as n approaches infinite, q(t). calculate whether the charge will exceed the safety limit discuss results.
ashclouded
The current of a regenerative shock absorber is modeled by
I = -5e^(-0.5t) cos t - 10e^(-0.5t) sin t
Given that the charge, q, in an electrical current is related to, I by I = dq/dt and that at t = 0 the charge of the regenerative shock absorber is q=80, find the charge when t = 5
Hint= need to find the derivative of e^(-0.5t) cos t
Part B
Due to safety specifications the long term percentage charge of the circuit cannot exceed 92%. By first determining the lim as n approaches infinite, q(t). calculate whether the charge will exceed the safety limit
discuss results
please

Homework Equations

I = -5e^(-0.5t) cos t - 10e^(-0.5t) sin t
e^(-0.5t) cos t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried working it out by doing intergration by parts but I can't seem to get past that point

Second Question:
Develop a mathematical model that would lengthen the time until the shock stabilised by the given time. T= 2.51 show mathematical analysis of the situation

d(t) = -5e^(-5t) cos (10t) is the original equation for a deflection of a rod in centimetres where t is time and d is deflection.

More info:
once a rod is released at time 0, it will spring back towards rest position where deflection is 0. It will go past rest which is called first rebound before rebounding again, going back through rest. the maximum distance of the rod below the rest position after this first rebound (dm) is used to measure the performance of the damper. dividing this rebound distance by the initial displacement (which is 5cm) gives the rebound ratio for that particular damper. if the ratio is below 1% the damper is working correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint for part a):

##I = dq/dt##
##\int_{0}^{5} I dt = \int_{80}^{q} dq##

EDIT: The OP has pmed me rather than posting so I'll make it a bit more clear by providing another hint. You need to use integration by parts to solve your problem.

Last edited:
I can't seem to figure it out, I'm not very good with intergration by parts :(

ashclouded said:
I can't seem to figure it out, I'm not very good with intergration by parts :(

You want to compute this:

##\int_{0}^{5} -5e^{-0.5t} cos(t) - 10e^{-0.5t} sin(t) dt = \int_{80}^{q} dq##

##-5 \int_{0}^{5} e^{-0.5t}(cos(t) + 5sin(t)) dt = q - 80##

For the integration by parts, suppose ##u = e^{-0.5t}## (you could also use ##u = cos(t) + 5sin(t)##).

Also assume that ##dv = cos(t) + 5sin(t) dt## (you could also use ##dv = e^{-0.5t} dt##).

Depending on your choice of substitution, I would say the one with ##u = e^{-0.5t}## is a bit easier, what are ##du## and ##v## respectively?

Then break it down into ##uv|_{0}^{5} - \int_{0}^{5} v du##.

Solved it thank you, I found the constant and worked from their, thank you

What is a shock absorber?

A shock absorber is a mechanical or hydraulic device that is designed to absorb and dampen the shock impulses caused by a vehicle's suspension system. It helps to smooth out the ride and improve overall handling and stability.

How does a shock absorber work?

A shock absorber works by converting the kinetic energy of the vehicle's suspension into thermal energy, which is then dissipated as heat. This process helps to reduce the impact and vibration of the vehicle's movements, providing a smoother and more comfortable ride.

When should I replace my shock absorbers?

It is recommended to replace shock absorbers every 50,000 miles or if you notice any signs of wear and tear, such as leaking fluid, excessive bouncing, or uneven tire wear. However, the lifespan of shock absorbers can vary depending on driving conditions and habits.

What are the different types of shock absorbers?

There are several types of shock absorbers, including twin-tube, monotube, and air shock absorbers. Twin-tube shock absorbers are the most commonly used and consist of two tubes, an inner and outer, that work together to absorb shock. Monotube shock absorbers have a single tube design and provide better performance and durability. Air shock absorbers use compressed air instead of hydraulic fluid to absorb shock.

Can I replace my own shock absorbers?

While it is possible to replace shock absorbers yourself, it is recommended to have a professional mechanic do the job. This is because it involves working with the vehicle's suspension system, which can be complex and dangerous if not done correctly. It is important to have the proper tools, knowledge, and experience to ensure the shock absorbers are installed correctly and safely.