How can we use calculus to find volumes of revolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the equation for the volume of a solid of revolution, which involves rotating a cross section of a curve around the x-axis to form a cylinder. This is done by adding the volumes of very thin cylinders, which leads to the integral expression \int_{a}^{b}{\pi \left(f(x)\right)^2} dx. The conversation also includes a discussion on using two different functions to find the total volume and the concept of adding skinny cylinders until they become a circle.
Endorser
As part of an assignment on Approximating Areas and Volume I am asked to derive the equation shown in the image attached.

The question reads: "It can be shown that if y = f(x) is revolved around the x-axis to form a solid between x=a and x=b then the volume of the solid is give by the equation shown in the image.

Some equations I have been using are basic area forumla such as
Area (trapezium) = 1/2(a+b)xh

I have also attempted to derive the forumula by looking at the Trapezoidal Rule and Simpson's Method and working backward to derive the formula.

Attachments

• Forumula.jpg
    Forumula.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
As you rotate a cross section of the curve around the axis, it forms a cylinder, with radius y=f(x). and a thickness of δx.

The volume of that cylinder is given by:
A=[itex]\pi[/itex]y2 δx

As the thickness of the cylinder approaches zero and you add (integrate) all the volumes of the reaaaaaly thin cylinders.
That gives the expression:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]f(x)2dx

I'm not quite sure how to put the limits in, but they are from a to b.

I hope that helped!

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b}{\pi \left(f(x)\right)^2} dx[/itex]

Hi,
Use two fonctions y=mx for a to b and y=k for b to c

add the result and multiply by two.

Attachments

• trap.JPG
    trap.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 414
mattg443 said:
As you rotate a cross section of the curve around the axis, it forms a cylinder, with radius y=f(x). and a thickness of δx.

A=[itex]\pi[/itex]y2 δx

As the thickness of the cylinder approaches zero and you add (integrate) all the volumes of the reaaaaaly thin cylinders.
That gives the expression:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\pi\,[/itex]f(x)2dx

I'm not quite sure how to put the limits in, but they are from a to b.

I hope that helped!

Actually, that should be,

A*δx = [itex]\pi[/itex]y2 δx

Thanks All, But how to we actually get from A=πy2 δx to ∫πf(x)2dx
How does the area become the volume?

A is the area of a circle with radius y & y = f(x). That radius goes from the x-axis, vertically up to the graph y = f(x). Multiplying times δx (delta-x) gives the volume of a very thin circular disk of thickness δx . The integral from x=a to x=b indicates that the volume of a series of such disk is summed to give the total volume of the solid of revolution.

The definition of an integral is adding ([itex]\sum[/itex]) very skinny things (lim[itex]\delta[/itex] x-->0) between two points.

If you are finding the area under a curve, you integrate between two points and are adding skinny rectangles (with almost no width i.e[itex]\delta[/itex]x), which are practically adding lines. (you just add the heights [itex]\int[/itex]ydx)

With volumes, in this case, you are adding skinny cylinders, until the cylinder becomes practically a circle. (you just add the areas of those circles [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]y2dx)

Adding lines gives an area
Adding areas gives a volume (just imagine adding all the areas of the pages of a book to get its volume)

Related to How can we use calculus to find volumes of revolution?

What is a volume of revolution?

A volume of revolution is a 3-dimensional shape formed by rotating a 2-dimensional curve, such as a line or a curve, around an axis. It is also known as a solid of revolution.

What are the different methods to find the volume of revolution?

There are three main methods to find the volume of revolution: the disk method, the shell method, and the washer method. The disk method involves using circular disks to approximate the volume, the shell method uses cylindrical shells, and the washer method uses thin washers. The method chosen depends on the shape of the curve and the axis of rotation.

What is the formula for finding the volume of revolution using the disk method?

The formula for finding the volume of revolution using the disk method is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circular disk and h is the height of the disk. This formula is used when the curve is rotated around an axis that is perpendicular to the curve.

What is the formula for finding the volume of revolution using the shell method?

The formula for finding the volume of revolution using the shell method is V = 2πrh, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the curve and h is the height of the cylindrical shell. This formula is used when the curve is rotated around a vertical or horizontal axis.

What are some real-life applications of volumes of revolution?

Volumes of revolution have many real-life applications, such as finding the volume of a container or a piece of machinery, calculating the volume of fluids in a container, and determining the volume of human organs for medical purposes. They are also used in engineering and architecture for designing structures and buildings.