How can we use the concept of GCD to solve this problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gcd
In summary: The 4th operation combined with the 1st operation can multiply the $\gcd$ with $2$.So the $\gcd$ can only be of the form $2^k\cdot \gcd(x_0,y_0)$.Any point with a $\gcd$ that is not of that form is not reachable.
Saitama
Hello all!

I was trying to solve this problem which is supposed to be easy: Traversing Grid | CodeChef

I couldn't solve it so I looked at some solutions, they seem to be using the concept of GCD. I am unable to understand why this works, please help. Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
I would try and plot all the points near the origin reachable from, say, (3, 5) and see if you can find a pattern. That won't be part of your solution, but it'll help you understand where the GCD comes in.

Bacterius said:
I would try and plot all the points near the origin reachable from, say, (3, 5) and see if you can find a pattern. That won't be part of your solution, but it'll help you understand where the GCD comes in.

Sorry, but I do not really see it. I found the following points reachable from (3,5) near the origin: (2,3), (1,3), (1,-3), (2,-3), (-1,3), (-2,3), (-2,-3), (-1,-3), (1,2), (1,-2), (0,2), (0,-2)... but no matter, I can never reach the origin. I am still clueless about this, please help!

Pranav said:
Sorry, but I do not really see it. I found the following points reachable from (3,5) near the origin: (2,3), (1,3), (1,-3), (2,-3), (-1,3), (-2,3), (-2,-3), (-1,-3), (1,2), (1,-2), (0,2), (0,-2)... but no matter, I can never reach the origin. I am still clueless about this, please help!

Make a grid and draw the points reachable and those not reachable..

Bacterius said:
Make a grid and draw the points reachable and those not reachable..

I drew a grid for -3<=x<=3 and -5<=y<=5 and couldn't reach the following points: (0,0), (0,3), (0,-3), (3,3), (3,-3), (-3,-3), (-3,3), (0,5) and (0,-5). But I still do not see how this helps. :(

Pranav said:
I drew a grid for -3<=x<=3 and -5<=y<=5 and couldn't reach the following points: (0,0), (0,3), (0,-3), (3,3), (3,-3), (-3,-3), (-3,3), (0,5) and (0,-5). But I still do not see how this helps. :(

What's the $\gcd$ of each of those reachable versus unreachable pairs? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
What's the $\gcd$ of each of those reachable versus unreachable pairs? (Wondering)

$\gcd$ of unreachable pairs is $0, 3, 5$ and for the reachable ones, $1, 2$ (as per the above grid). But I am still stumped. :confused:

Pranav said:
$\gcd$ of unreachable pairs is $0, 3, 5$ and for the reachable ones, $1, 2$ (as per the above grid). But I am still stumped. :confused:

The initial point has $\gcd(3,5)=1$.
What does the $\gcd$ become after each of the operations?

I like Serena said:
The initial point has $\gcd(3,5)=1$.
What does the $\gcd$ become after each of the operations?

$\gcd$ stays the same i.e 1 after each operation.

Pranav said:
$\gcd$ stays the same i.e 1 after each operation.

Almost.
How did you reach a point with $\gcd=2$ then?

Anyway, do you see that none of the operations can bring you to a point with a $\gcd$ of $3$ or $5$?

Btw, you mentioned that some points had $\gcd=0$.
Can you give an example?
Does it really have a $\gcd$ of $0$?

I like Serena said:
Almost.

Umm...is my answer incorrect? You asked for the $\gcd$ if I apply each of the operations once to (3,5). So, in one operation, I can reach (8,5), (6,5), (5,3) or (3,-5) and all of them have $\gcd$ as 1.

How did you reach a point with $\gcd=2$ then?
For example, (3,5)->(6,5)->(6,-5)->(1,-5)->(1,5)->(5,1)->(5,-1)->(4,-1)->(1,4)->(2,4).

Anyway, do you see that none of the operations can bring you to a point with a $\gcd$ of $3$ or $5$?
Yes, I do but how does that help? :confused:

Btw, you mentioned that some points had $\gcd=0$.
Can you give an example?
Does it really have a $\gcd$ of $0$?

Really sorry about that, when I was calculating the gcds, I accidentally considered (0,0) as a reachable point. (Tmi)

Pranav said:
Umm...is my answer incorrect? You asked for the $\gcd$ if I apply each of the operations once to (3,5). So, in one operation, I can reach (8,5), (6,5), (5,3) or (3,-5) and all of them have $\gcd$ as 1.

For example, (3,5)->(6,5)->(6,-5)->(1,-5)->(1,5)->(5,1)->(5,-1)->(4,-1)->(1,4)->(2,4).

Yes, I do but how does that help? :confused:

Ah. I meant repeated application of the operations.
Note that for any $x,y$ we have: $\gcd(x,y)=\gcd(y,x)=\gcd(x,-y)=\gcd(x+y,y)$.
So if we keep repeating any of the first 3 operations, the $\gcd$ will always remain the same.
The odd one out is the 4th operation. The question remains what is can do with the $\gcd$.
A single application to (3,5) won't affect the $\gcd$ yet, but there are ways that it can.

Really sorry about that, when I was calculating the gcds, I accidentally considered (0,0) as a reachable point. (Tmi)

What is $\gcd(0,0)$?
And what is $\gcd(2,0)$?

What is $\gcd(0,0)$?
And what is $\gcd(2,0)$?

$0$ and $2$ respectively but I am still clueless about solving the given problem. :(

Pranav said:
$0$ and $2$ respectively but I am still clueless about solving the given problem. :(

The 4th operation combined with the 1st operation can multiply the $\gcd$ with $2$.
So the $\gcd$ can only be of the form $2^k\cdot \gcd(x_0,y_0)$.
Any point with a $\gcd$ that is not of that form is not reachable.

Btw, $\gcd(0,0)$ is undefined instead of $0$. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
The 4th operation combined with the 1st operation can multiply the $\gcd$ with $2$.
So the $\gcd$ can only be of the form $2^k\cdot \gcd(x_0,y_0)$.
Any point with a $\gcd$ that is not of that form is not reachable.

Btw, $\gcd(0,0)$ is undefined instead of $0$. (Nerd)

Thanks for all the help ILS!

But still, how one is supposed to know that the concept of gcd is to be used in this problem? I had no idea until I looked at the solutions.

Pranav said:
Thanks for all the help ILS!

But still, how one is supposed to know that the concept of gcd is to be used in this problem? I had no idea until I looked at the solutions.

We are looking for a property of a pair of numbers that the operations will leave unchanged.
The $\gcd$ is a natural property to consider.Furthermore, the given operations give us a clue, since they match the properties of a $\gcd$.

In particular the operation $(x,y) \mapsto (x+y,y)$ looks like the key concept to evaluate a $\gcd$, which is that adding or subtracting one of the numbers from the other, leaves the $\gcd$ unchanged.
It leads to the algorithm:
\begin{cases}\gcd(x,x) &= x \\
\gcd(x,y) &= \gcd(x - y,y) & \text{if }x > y \\
\gcd(x,y) &= \gcd(x, y-x) & \text{if }y > x \end{cases}

1. What is GCD and how is it calculated?

GCD stands for Greatest Common Divisor and is the largest number that can divide two or more numbers without leaving a remainder. It is calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until the remainder becomes 0.

2. How does GCD help in solving simple problems?

GCD is useful in solving simple problems that involve finding the largest possible number that can evenly divide into a set of numbers. It can also be used to simplify fractions and find equivalent fractions.

3. Can GCD be used for more complex problems?

Yes, GCD can be used in more complex problems such as cryptography, where it is used to find the largest common factor between two large numbers to determine the strength of encryption.

4. How does GCD differ from LCM?

GCD finds the largest number that can divide two or more numbers, while LCM (Least Common Multiple) finds the smallest number that is a multiple of two or more numbers. They are related in that the product of GCD and LCM of two numbers is equal to the product of the two numbers.

5. Is GCD only applicable to integers?

Yes, GCD is only applicable to integers. However, it can also be extended to work with polynomials, where the GCD of two polynomials is the highest degree polynomial that can divide both of them without leaving a remainder.