How Can Work Function Differences Be Measured Without Contact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding measuring the work function difference between two metals with different Fermi levels that have not come in contact. It is mentioned that in a pn junction, the built-in potential cannot be measured due to contact potentials. However, it is theorized that it may be possible to measure this potential using some sort of voltmeter, although it is unclear how this would work without a Kelvin Probe or through charge-based measurements. It is suggested that using X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy may be a way to determine the work function, but it is not related to voltmeters. Various ideas are mentioned, but it is concluded that more knowledge is needed to determine a feasible method for measuring this potential.
shallowbay
Hi,

I posted this in the "General physics" section as I didn't see the Solid State part of this section.

I am quite confused here. So, I know that if you take any number of materials and place them in series the contact potentials subtract off so that the measured result is simply the difference between the first and last material.

I also know that in a pn junction this is the reason you cannot measure the built-in potential.

However, I was told that one should be able to theoretically measure the work function difference between two metals with different Fermi levels that have not come in contact and thus have not come to an equilibrium Fermi level, using some sort of voltmeter.

How could this be without a Kelvin Probe to measure each one individually?

Is this sensical? How might it be possible? Any comments?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I know you can deduce the work function using X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, but that has nothing to do with voltmeters.

bump.

And it certainly can't be a normal voltmeter as the contact potentials stop you from measuring it that way, but supposedly it is theoretically possible to measure this potential in some electrically based manner as it's an electrochemical potential difference.

I just can't see it without measuring tunnel current or charge based measurements.

Yeah, I'm picturing something like a wire with a resistor connecting the two materials.

As electrons flow from one to another the current goes through the resistor and V=IR so you could get the voltage from resistive heating or something.

Again though, like you said, that's based on current measurement. I'll stop suggesting dumb ideas until somebody more knowledgeable comes along lol

Related to How Can Work Function Differences Be Measured Without Contact?

1. What is the definition of work function differences?

Work function differences refer to the difference in energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material compared to a reference material. It is a measure of the ease at which electrons can be emitted from a material.

2. Why is understanding work function differences important in scientific research?

Work function differences play a crucial role in many fields of science, such as material science and surface physics. It helps to determine the electronic properties of materials and their interactions with other materials, which is essential in designing new materials and devices.

3. How is the work function difference measured?

The work function difference can be measured using various techniques, such as photoelectron spectroscopy, Kelvin probe force microscopy, and field emission measurements. These methods involve applying an external electric field to the material and measuring the energy required to remove an electron.

4. What factors can affect work function differences?

Several factors can influence work function differences, including the type of material, its crystal structure, and the presence of impurities or defects on the surface. Temperature, pressure, and chemical environment can also affect work function differences.

5. How can work function differences be used in practical applications?

Work function differences have practical applications in various fields, such as solar energy conversion, electronic devices, and catalysis. By understanding and controlling work function differences, scientists can design more efficient and stable materials for these applications.