How can you motivate yourself to finish reading a boring book?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: Secondly, you should not be so hard on yourself when it comes to giving books a chance. It can take a while for some books to "click" with you, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen right away. And lastly, if you do decide that you do not want to finish a book, remember that there are plenty of other books to read.
Moonbear said:
But, if it isn't an assigned reading for a course, why torture yourself finishing a book you aren't enjoying? If you had to read it for a course, then I'd only be able to recommend things like finding a brightly lit place in the middle of the day when you're least likely to fall asleep reading, especially if that brightly lit place came with coffee (i.e., sitting next to a window in a coffee shop) and just plodding through.

I'm finished with English, just reading on my own. What I'm afraid of is that quiting will only open doors to quit reading other books in the future. This will lead to hopping from one flower to another flower without really completing anything. I guess I've been reading when I go to sleep, sleepy and tired. Will give it a try on a bright afternoon, never though about that actually...
turbo-1 said:
When I switched from engineering to liberal arts (with a double-major in English literature and Philosophy) I aced all my lit classes by annotating during assigned reading.

I didn't know you were an English major. My former English teacher often talked about rock, he brought electric guitars to class many times and let us see it. After half hour of unloading, he would then begin the lecture.

Physics news on Phys.org
waht said:
I didn't know you were an English major. My former English teacher often talked about rock, he brought electric guitars to class many times and let us see it. After half hour of unloading, he would then begin the lecture.
Yep! Instead of writing a massive term-paper for a course in English Romantic Literature, 2 friends and I came up with a stage adaptation of Samson Agonistes. The other guy wrote all the stage direction, adapting that to the poem, my girlfriend designed the costumes and sets, and I composed and recorded the soundtrack. We didn't have any money to actually produce the adaptation, but we turned in the written adaptation, sketches of sets and costumes, and a very long tape of instrumental music with voice-over on another track to explain where in the production that particular music would be used. We all got A's on the work, though the professor expressed disappointment that we could not actually produce it so it could be performed live. Most of the soundtrack was recorded with a '60's Telecaster through a Princeton Reverb with LPB-1 power boosters for distortion. Percussion was done with whatever stuff I had kicking around my apartment.