How Can You Prove the Triangle Inequality Using Case Analysis in Discrete Math?

In summary: I should have postd my notes, but I wasnt sure so here it is :1) x positive and y positive 2) x negitive and y positive 3) x positive and y negitive 4) x negitive and y negitive
cameron_c83
Discrete Math -- Proof methods

Homework Statement

Prove |x-y| ≤ |x| + |y| for all real numbers x and y (where |x| represents the
absolute value of x, which equals x if x≥0 and equals -x if x<0). prove by cases

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

? You state the problem but say absolutely nothing else! Have you not even tried?

The problem itself says "prove by cases". What are the cases here?

Well, how many cases are there? You have cases for x [itex] \geq [/itex]0 and x < 0, as well as the same for y. There seems to be 4 cases to work with...

okay u right I should have postd my notes, but I wasnt sure so here it is :

1) x positive and y positive
2) x negitive and y positive
3) x positive and y negitive
4) x negitive and y negitive

case 1) p1 → q ,,, x-y ≤ x+y is true ,, for example 6-(+3) ≤ 6 + 3
case 2) p2 → q ,,, -x-y ≤ -x+y is true,, for example -6 - +3 ≤ -6 + 3
case 3) p3 → q ,,, x - (-y) ≤ x + (-y) is false ,,, for example 6 -(-3) = 9 and 6 +(-3) = 3
case 4) p4 → q ,,, -x-(-y) ≤ -x+(-y) is false ,,, for example -6 - (-3) = -3 and -6 + -3 = -9

so here are 4 cases and all possibilities,
please let me know what is wrong .

cameron_c83 said:
okay u right I should have postd my notes, but I wasnt sure so here it is :

1) x positive and y positive
2) x negitive and y positive
3) x positive and y negitive
4) x negitive and y negitive

case 1) p1 → q ,,, x-y ≤ x+y is true ,, for example 6-(+3) ≤ 6 + 3
Just posting an example does not prove it is true for all positive x and y.
case 2) p2 → q ,,, -x-y ≤ -x+y is true,, for example -6 - +3 ≤ -6 + 3
case 3) p3 → q ,,, x - (-y) ≤ x + (-y) is false ,,, for example 6 -(-3) = 9 and 6 +(-3) = 3
If x= 6, y= -3, |x+ y|= |6-(-3)|= 9 |x|+ |y|= 6+ 3= 9, NOT 6+(-3). [itex]|x-y|\le |x|+ |y|[/itex] is true in this example.

case 4) p4 → q ,,, -x-(-y) ≤ -x+(-y) is false ,,, for example -6 - (-3) = -3 and -6 + -3 = -9
If x= -6 and y= -3, then |x- y|= |-6-(-3)|= |-3|= 3 while |x|+ |y|= 6+ 3= 9. 3< 9. No, [itex]|x- y|\le |x|+ |y|[/itex] is true in this example. You are consistently forgetting the absolute values on the right side.

But "prove by cases" does not mean give examples! Examples cannot prove anything.

For example, if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] and [itex]y\ge 0[/itex], in order to look at |x- y| we still have to consider two more cases:
1) x> y. Then |x- y|= x- y which is smaller than x. But |x|+ |y| is greater than x: [itex]|x- y|\le |x|\le |x|+ |y|[/itex].
2) y> x. Then |x- y|= |y- x|= y- x which is smaller than y. But |x|+ |y| is greater than y: [itex]|x- y|\le y\le |x|+ |y|.

so here are 4 cases and all possibilities,
please let me know what is wrong .

Related to How Can You Prove the Triangle Inequality Using Case Analysis in Discrete Math?

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, such as integers, graphs, and statements. It is used to study and solve problems in computer science, cryptography, and other fields.

2. What are proof methods in discrete math?

Proof methods in discrete math are techniques used to prove the validity or truthfulness of mathematical statements. These methods include direct proof, proof by contradiction, induction, and proof by cases.

3. How is direct proof used in discrete math?

Direct proof is a proof method where the truth of a statement is shown by using logical deductions from previously accepted statements or axioms. It involves starting with known facts and using logical reasoning to arrive at the desired conclusion.

4. What is proof by contradiction in discrete math?

Proof by contradiction is a proof method where the validity of a statement is established by assuming the opposite and then showing that it leads to a contradiction. This proves that the original statement must be true. It is also known as reductio ad absurdum.

5. How does induction work in discrete math?

Induction is a proof method that involves proving a statement for all natural numbers by first showing that it is true for the smallest value (the base case) and then showing that if it is true for one value, it is also true for the next value (the inductive step). This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all values.