How can you simplify complex division with imaginary numbers?

In summary, to solve the equation (1+2i+3i2)/(1-2i+3i2), you can simplify the i^2 term in the numerator and denominator and then multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator. This will result in a real denominator, which can then be simplified to get the correct answer of -i.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

(1+2i+3i2)/(1-2i+3i2)

answer options : a : 1 b: -i c: i d: 0

Homework Equations

what is the most easy method to solve it ,

The Attempt at a Solution

are they conjugate to each other ? if they are than z/zconjugate =1 ,
but how can i make shure that they are conjugate to each other
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

(1+2i+3i2)/(1-2i+3i2)

answer options : a : 1 b: -i c: i d: 0

Homework Equations

what is the most easy method to solve it ,
Simplify the ##i^2## term in the numerator and denominator, and then multiply both numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator. You should already know that ##i^2 = -1##.
alijan kk said:

The Attempt at a Solution

are they conjugate to each other ? if they are than z/zconjugate =1 , [/B]
That's not true. ##\frac z {\bar z} \neq 1## unless z is purely real.
alijan kk said:
but how can i make shure that they are conjugate to each other

Likes ForceBoy
Step 1, convert each of the numerator and denominator into the form ##a+bi## by replacing ##i^2## by a number that doesn't involve ##i## in both, then collecting terms and simplifying.
Step 2: Make the denominator real by multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.
Step 3: simplify.

Likes alijan kk
Mark44 said:
Simplify the ##i^2## term in the numerator and denominator, and then multiply both numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator. You should already know that ##i^2 = -1##.
That's not true. ##\frac z {\bar z} \neq 1## unless z is purely real.
i simplified the equation and i got (1-i)/(1+i) and by dividing it I got -i. which is the correct answer in the book , thankyou.

What is division of complex numbers?

Division of complex numbers is a mathematical operation that involves dividing two complex numbers to get a result in the form of a complex number. It is similar to division of real numbers, but with the addition of the imaginary unit, i.

How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you need to use the formula (a+bi)/(c+di) = [(a+bi)(c-di)]/(c^2+d^2), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the first complex number, and c and d are the real and imaginary parts of the second complex number. You can then simplify the result to get the final answer.

What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is the number with the same real part, but with the imaginary part having the opposite sign. For example, the conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i. The conjugate is used in division of complex numbers to eliminate the imaginary terms in the denominator.

Can you divide by zero in complex numbers?

No, division by zero is undefined in both real and complex numbers. When dividing complex numbers, you must ensure that the denominator is not equal to zero. If it is, then the division is not possible.

What are some real-world applications of division of complex numbers?

Division of complex numbers has many applications in science, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used in electrical engineering to calculate impedance and in signal processing to analyze complex waveforms. In economics, it is used to model and analyze complex financial systems.