How can you solve cubic equations in R with multiple variables?

• Thread starter santa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
P.P.S. I'm sorry for the previous post in which I used the word 'clearly' (if it's not deleted). I just wanted to be polite, nothing else. :oops:In summary, the original equation can be rewritten as \sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\beta} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \beta} where \alpha, \beta and \gamma are defined as x^2 + 2, 4x^2 + 3x - 2, and 3x^2 + x + 5 respectively. By setting \gamma = 0, we
santa
solve in R

[tex](x^2+2)^{1/3}+(4x^2+3x-2)^{1/3}=(3x^2+x+5)^{1/3}+(2x^2+2x-5)^{1/3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts?

santa said:
solve in R

You should notice that:
(x2 + 2) + (4x2 + 3x - 2) = (3x2 + x + 5) + (2x2 + 2x - 5) = 5x2 + 3x.

So, if you let: [tex]\alpha = x ^ 2 + 2[/tex]
[tex]\beta = 3x ^ 2 + x + 5[/tex]
and [tex]\gamma = 5x ^ 2 + 3x[/tex]

Then, your original equation will becomes:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\beta} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \beta}[/tex]

When [tex]\gamma = 0[/tex], both sides equal 0, so this is one obvious solution. You'll get 2 (of a toal 4) solutions when setting [tex]\gamma = 0[/tex], and solve for x.

On graphing it, I can see there are actually 4 solutions.. Not sure how you can obtain another 2 solutions. :frown:

it has got only one solution i.e 0

VietDao29 said:
Then, your original equation will becomes:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\beta} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \beta}[/tex]

When [tex]\gamma = 0[/tex], both sides equal 0
Are you sure that
[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{-\alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\alpha - \alpha} = 0[/tex]

CompuChip said:
Are you sure that
[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{-\alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\alpha - \alpha} = 0[/tex]

We are working in the reals, aren't we?

Btw, it's not like that, since: [tex]\sqrt[3]{a} + \sqrt[3]{b} \neq \sqrt[3]{a + b}[/tex].

It should've read:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{-\alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\alpha} - \sqrt[3]{\alpha} = 0[/tex][/QUOTE]

:)

Yes, we are working in the reals, and the identity I gave obviously doesn't hold.. that's what confused me.
I still don't really get what you try to do. Setting [itex]\gamma = 0[/itex] means that
[tex]\gamma = 5 x^2 + 3 x = x(5 x + 3) = 0[/tex]
so x = 0 or x = -3/5.
Taking x = 0 the formula becomes
[tex]\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{-2} = \sqrt[3]{5} + \sqrt[3]{-5}[/tex]
which, numerically, is something like
[tex]1.89 + 1.09 i = 2.56 + 1.48 i[/tex]

So it appears I didn't get what you were trying to say...

Instead, there appear to be two real (non-zero) solutions and two complex solutions (which we are not interested in). I have no idea how to find them though.

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Taking x = 0 the formula becomes
[tex]\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{-2} = \sqrt[3]{5} + \sqrt[3]{-5}[/tex]
which, numerically, is something like
[tex]1.89 + 1.09 i = 2.56 + 1.48 i[/tex]

Well, no. We are not working in the complex. "i" belongs to the complex, not the reals. In the complex, [tex]\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex] has 3 different values (for a <> 0), so actually [tex]\sqrt[3]{a} + \sqrt[3]{b}[/tex] has at most 6 different values.

Whereas, in the reals, [tex]\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex] only has one value, i.e, the real number whose cubed is a.

E.g, we have: [tex]\sqrt[3]{8} + \sqrt[3]{-8} = 2 + (-2) = 0[/tex] (since (-2)3 = -8)

In general, we have: [tex]\sqrt[3]{-a} = -\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex].

Proof:

Let [tex]b = \sqrt[3]{a}[/tex], b is unique, since we are in the reals.
[tex]\Rightarrow b ^ 3 = a[/tex] (the definition of cube root)
[tex]\Rightarrow - b ^ 3 = -a[/tex] (take the additive inverse of both sides)
[tex]\Rightarrow (- b) ^ 3 = -a[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow - b = \sqrt[3]{-a}[/tex] (again, the definition of cube root).
So we have [tex]\sqrt[3]{-a} = -\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex] (Q.E.D)

And so, that means:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{-2} = \sqrt[3]{2} - \sqrt[3]{2} = 0 = \sqrt[3]{5} + \sqrt[3]{-5}[/tex]

Is everything clear now? :)

Last edited:
good work but

let [tex]$ \sqrt[3]{x^2+2}=a, \ \sqrt[3]{4x^2+3x-2}=b, \ \sqrt[3]{3x^2+x+5}=c, \ \sqrt[3]{2x^2+2x-5}=d.[/tex]

these may be help

santa said:
good work but

let [tex]$ \sqrt[3]{x^2+2}=a, \ \sqrt[3]{4x^2+3x-2}=b, \ \sqrt[3]{3x^2+x+5}=c, \ \sqrt[3]{2x^2+2x-5}=d.[/tex]

these may be help

Then, how will you go from there?? :confused: :confused:

VietDao29 said:
On graphing it, I can see there are actually 4 solutions.. Not sure how you can obtain another 2 solutions. :frown:

[tex]\alpha=\beta[/tex]
and
[tex]\gamma=\alpha + \beta[/tex]

Are obviously solutions - no idea if that gets you anything.

Edit: Looks like those are all imaginary solutions.

Last edited:
NateTG said:
[tex]\alpha=\beta[/tex]
and
[tex]\gamma=\alpha + \beta[/tex]

Are obviously solutions - no idea if that gets you anything.

Edit: Looks like those are all imaginary solutions.

Well, ya, why didn't I think of it before. Damn it. >.<

[tex]\alpha = \beta[/tex] will gives you 2 solutions in the complex, whereas [tex]\gamma = \alpha + \beta[/tex] will give you another 2 real solutions as wishes.

If you are allowed to graph, and then solve for x, then it's done. Woohoo. But if you are not allowed to graph :(, then you must first prove that it has at most 4 solutions, then point out all the 4 solutions.

But well, I think, in this problem, you are allowed to use graph. :biggrin:

solve in R

Let

[tex]\alpha=x^2+2,\,\beta=4x^2+3x-2\,\gamma=3x^2+x+5,\,\delta=2x^2+2x-5[/tex]

with [itex]\alpha\neq 0,\,\beta\neq 0,\,\gamma \neq 0,\delta\neq 0[/itex] since the roots of these equations does not satisfy the original equation. Then

[tex]\alpha^{1/3}+\beta^{1/3}=\gamma^{1/3}+\delta^{1/3}\neq 0 \quad (1)[/tex] and
[tex]\alpha+\beta=\gamma+\delta \quad (2)[/tex]

Raising (1) to the 3rd power

[tex]\alpha+3\,\alpha^{2/3}\,\beta^{1/3}+3\,\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{2/3}+\beta=\gamma+3\,\gamma^{2/3}\,\delta^{1/3}+3\,\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{2/3}+\delta\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]3\,\alpha^{2/3}\,\beta^{1/3}+3\,\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{2/3}=3\,\gamma^{2/3}\,\delta^{1/3}+3\,\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{2/3}\Rightarrow \quad \text{from (2)} [/tex]

[tex]\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{1/3}\,(\alpha^{1/3}+\beta^{1/3})=\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{1/3}\,(\gamma^{1/3}+\delta^{1/3})\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{1/3}=\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{1/3}\Rightarrow \quad \text{from (1)}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha\,\beta=\gamma\,\delta \quad (3)[/tex]

Thus we have to solve the system of (1), (2), (3) which is rather simple. From (3) we have

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{\gamma}=\frac{\delta}{\beta}=k[/tex]

which makes (2)

[tex](k-1)\,\gamma=(k-1)\,\beta[/tex]

with [itex]k\neq 1[/itex] because leads to inconsistency the original equation. Thus [itex]\gamma=\beta[/itex] and from (2) [itex]\alpha=\delta[/itex], with the final answer

[tex]x=-1-2\,\sqrt{2},\, x=-1+2\,\sqrt{2}[/tex]​

P.S. I hope this time the mentors would not delete this post, after the conversation we had about santa's threads.

Related to How can you solve cubic equations in R with multiple variables?

1. What is the general process for solving cubic equations in R?

The general process for solving cubic equations in R involves using the "solve" function, which takes in the coefficients of the cubic equation as arguments. R then finds the roots of the equation and returns them as a list of complex numbers. However, it is important to note that this method may not work for all cubic equations, especially those with complex roots.

2. Can I solve cubic equations with real coefficients in R?

Yes, R is capable of solving cubic equations with real coefficients. However, as mentioned before, the "solve" function may not work for all cubic equations, so it is important to check the validity of the solutions returned.

3. Are there any alternative methods for solving cubic equations in R?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving cubic equations in R, such as using the "polyroot" function or manually using the quadratic formula for solving the depressed cubic equation. These methods may be more reliable for certain types of cubic equations.

4. Can I graph cubic equations in R?

Yes, R has various functions and packages, such as "curve" and "ggplot2", that allow you to graph cubic equations. You can also use the "plot" function to graph the solutions of the cubic equation as points on a graph.

5. How can I check if my solutions for a cubic equation in R are correct?

You can check the validity of your solutions by plugging them back into the original cubic equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use the "all.equal" function to check if the solutions are close enough to the correct value.